Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pick up my bees today from a fellow forum member up in South Ga. I have my hive the nuc is going into painted and ready to go. My plan is to use plumer strap to screw the bottom board to the hive and then use ratchet straps to secure the hives down in the bed of my truck. I don't have any of those U shaped nails I have seen in the bee supply books. Does this plan sound OK? Do you guys have anything else to add?

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
The plan (with Jeffzhear's suggestion about the screen) sounds good. It is exciting, isn't it? Let us know how you make out. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Are you taking your "hive" to where the nuc is?

Or are you picking up a nuc?

If your placing the frames in your hive body you will want to check the frame spacing after the final placement of the hive.

I would have set the nuc in the back seat or on the floor where it couldn't move...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh screen I knew I was forgetting something!! Thanks I will go put some in the truck now. I will definatly let you'll know how it goes. The weather looks like it is going to be perfect. We had a lot of rain yesterday but, today is clearing up very nice and it is supposed to get up to 70 so I could not ask for any better weather in Jan. than that.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It sounds like a good plan to me. Being new you may want to screen them in so you don't have to worry about them in transport, but when you get to where you are going to place them leave them on the hive stand for 5-10 minutes before pulling the screen offto calm down. Sometimes they come pit a little mad and head striaght for your face so be sure to have your vail on. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be picking them up right before dark. The beek I am picking them up from said this would be the best time since the bees will all be back in the hive. This sounds like a good idea to me also. I will prob go ahead and set them on there new hive stand when I get home but, will wait until first light to pull the screen out.

Beecurious, I will be putting the frames from the other beeks hive into my hive. I will make sure to check the spacing after I get it to the new hive stand. The other hive I am getting is a full hive, I will make sure those frames are spaced right also. Thanks guys keep it coming!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Frame spacing may be needed on plastic frames but on wood you do something different. They are made to be correctly spaced when pushed tightly together. The extra space is divided between the 2 outside frames next to the box. That way you get minimal propolis and you can always get the side frames out first. Good luck with your bees.

dickm

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hope to be picking up 2 hives in April and taking them on a 4 hour road trip home in the back seat of my KIA...

Even with the ratchet straps, duct tape, and screen, I kinda wonder how long it will take me to get calm and relaxed with the buzzing going on inside the cab of my car :p

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am happy to say we made it home without any problems. I wish I had seen the response about the duct tape I could have used some. It was pretty uneventful, the ratchet strap let the hive bottom slip some on the complete hive and my wife got one bite. Other than that we are offically bee owners now!!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It was pretty uneventful, the ratchet strap let the hive bottom slip some on the complete hive and my wife got one bite. Other than that we are offically bee owners now!!
Well if you are official beekeepers now, you better start referring to them as stings, not bites. ;) :D

Teasing aside- I feel your excitement! You are so lucky and I wish you the very best! Too exciting! :D

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Congratulations! The adventure begins! :applause:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Omie you are right my wife got onto me for the same thing.

The bees were doing what I think was orientation flights about mid day. But, by 2 o clock they were hauling in a lot of pollen. Which I think is coming from the Maples. I can't remember when I have been so excited about something. I know I have a lot to learn but, I want to learn all I can!! Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts