Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, price will vary depending on quality... but say I know several local beeks with unprocessed cappings. I want the cappings to melt/filter and turn into products (candles, resale, etc).

What's the going rate/lb of 'unprocessed' cappings?

I'm charging $8/lb for blocks of beeswax. (that's $8/cdn)... I don't have a lot of wax right now, only running 6 hives.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
For bricks of rendered cappings the rate is 2.50 to 3 here in the states. Not sure what your market is, but most commercial buyers won't mess with anything under 500 lbs or so.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well... I definitely don't need 500lbs... just want to tap into the local market. Guys out there must have it in smaller quantities (5-20lbs)... just not sure what to offer for it.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
If you are selling for 8 I would offer around 4 or less if you have to clean and render them. 4 is better then what they could get elsewhere and you make money off it also.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I sold 3 drums cappings to be rendered out. I was paid 1.33 lb for a total of 413 lbs wax and 292 lbs melter honey($1.70 for the wax and $0.80 for the melter honey).:( I'm looking for a melter now.:)

·
Banned
141 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $1.50. You can get all you need from beeks around here for $2.50 in blocks. Bee supplies will give $5-$6 if it's traded in for foundation. I've never seen a strong market for raw beeswax in 30 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts