Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two queens coming this Friday to requeen a couple of my colonies. The weather looks pretty good for Friday (at this point), and the weather is really nice today BUT everything between today and the end of next week looks questionable.

When I've replaced queens in the past I've gone in and "dethroned" the old queen a couple of days before the new queen went in. Well, Wednesday looks like the rainiest day of the bunch.

So my question is, would it be better to get the old queens today and let them go queenless for a week or hold off and hope the Thursday isn't to bad and introduce the new queen on Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks,

K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
I would'nt go queenless for a week unless you want them to raise one, since that is what they will do. I think in terms of hours not days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
Yea, in a week, you will have to go in and pinch all the queen cells that they have created. Miss one and OOPS, you may have yourself a swarm. I give mine 24 hours queenless. I recently went 12 hours and had no problems.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top