Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to go with foundationless frames. I got a deep nuc of 5 frames and currently have it in the middle of a deep hive with frames that contain foundation in them. How do I switch over to foundationless over time? Put one or two foundationless frames in the brood box? Should I wait until they fill the first box and do someting when I add the second?

I have medium boxes for honey, can I go foundationless at the start with them?

·
Registered
784 Posts
From what I have seen with my foundationless frames.

You need good fully drawn frames on either side. That will encourage them to draw the frame in the proper location.

Depending on the frame you decide to use. You may want to put a starter strip in there.

I'm using Kelley comb guide frames and have a couple that are being drawn off center, since they were not crowded with properly drawn frames.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Start now. Pull the foundation frames out, move the 5 already drawn ones to the middle. Put one foundationless frame in the middle of the 5, put the others to the sides. Check in 5 days or so, if they have the 1st one already almost all the way drawn, move it over and put another foundationless one in the middle. If they draw all or mostly drone come, move it to the side and keep on. if you remove it completly from the hive they will probably draw another drone one. Let them do what they want, they know best, unless of course they start drawing crazy comb, which might work for them, but isn't so hot for us. :) If you don't have a flow on or aren't feeding, nothing will get done, foundation or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts