Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first year in beekeeping has been a delight in many ways. It has been something only dreamed of until last year. Trial, luck, and error naturally have played their respective roles.

About a month ago, i thought things were going swimmingly. The last hive of two...the only one to overwinter...seemed to be just bubbling with bees. I had some amateur difficulty interpreting differences between drone brood areas and queen cups likely, and had little interest in continually tearing up the hive to overmanage.

Several weeks ago, a neighbor reported after the fact that he'd seen a swarm in the woods quite close to here, and yet the hive numbers still looked hefty or thereabouts :eek:.
Now that the nectar session is firmly parked upon us, i now see a larger proportion of drones to girls than might appear normal. Further, the brood pattern was horrible in most of the frames that i recently checked. The girls are capping honey in the top box, but the lower three mediums have spotty patterns, to put it mildly.

My idea was to possibly get a queen this spring and split them. I see that some folks realize that there may be a mated queen already about and that she may be preparing to do her thing and make everything queenright. That supersedures take time to become queenright.
Again...the hesitation to go poking about constantly in search of her.

But then i hit the panic button.

Thinking that i would split...and split rather soon, also locating any remaining queen and eliminate her, and go for two hives from this drawn out set of four mediums, i have ordered two queens. Now i'm waiting for the queens and
Did i ever mention my close connection to murphy's law? :D

...to be continued

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yesterday we had a similar issue with an overwintered nuc. This colony overwintered on about ten medium frames. Once a week I would check for queen cups with eggs and other sighns of swarming.

The colony is now five eight frame mediums and packed with bees. Yesterday we wanted to do a walk aaway split. There was a lot of drone brood but only one full frame of worker brood as well as several partial frames of worker brood. Honey and nectar was everywhere. They looked packed with bees, but now I am wondering if I didnt miss some swarm cells.

Shane

1 - 2 of 2 Posts