Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the new genetic modified alfalfa affects bees? It is suppose to be roundup ready. I was thinking about planting some but unsure if I would need to use the unmodified stuff.

thanks david

·
Registered
206 Posts
It was blocked by the courts for a while but then it was over ruled a couple of weeks ago. I'd be interested in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ack! I wouldn't touch GM products if i don't absolutely have to. God knows what it is doing to us and the environment. Lots of problems with GM plants; after spraying fields with roundup over and over, things are becoming resistant, so stronger poison has to be made. There is a theory that GM products are the cause of the bee wipe out. On top of that, the idea that you can patent life is ridiculous, this then forces farmers to buy new seeds every year, because if they save their seed they violate the patent and get big big fines. I don't understand why roundup ready is a good thing? A plant that i eat being soaked in poison multiple times doesn't sound good to me (

no GM for me please, thats just my 2 cents

Pablo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Monsanto is the creator/patent holder of GM seeds. Do a google search on them, or watching Food, Inc. They've done some nasty things. Not a company to support imo

Pablo

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Despite claims and headlines to the contrary, Monsanto is still prohibited from selling and planting its Roundup Ready GM alfalfa. The true victors in the case are farmers, consumers and environmentalists who have argued that planting GM alfalfa would contaminate conventional and organic crops and lead to spraying noxious pesticides in regions where over 90% of alfalfa farmers do not use or need them.

Here is an article that will tell you pretty much everything about it!

http://www.gmwatch.org/latest-listing/1-news-items/12309-how-the-media-got-gm-alfalfa-wrong

·
Registered
206 Posts
Please explain what Roundup ready alfalfa has to do with spraying "noxious pesticides" around.
:applause:

Roundup is actually one of the safer herbicides out there because it has little residual and drift and breaks down quickly in the soil so contamination from run-off isn't as big of a threat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Please explain what Roundup ready alfalfa has to do with spraying "noxious pesticides" around.
roundup ready seeds are genetically modified (GMO) so that when the herbicides are sprayed they are not harmed but instead the weeds all die.
Little is known about what implications this has.
Monsanto has sued farmers who did not plant their seeds for violating patent laws. How? because of cross pollination, the patented gene moved from one field with it to another with out. They forced the farmers to burn their crop and destroy any seed, putting them in huge debt or bankrupt. They also have many people dedicated to persecuting anyone who tries to save their seed, instead the patent forces them to destroy the seed, and buy new for the next planting.

Spraying vast amounts of roundup can't be good for anything, i don't care what studies show what. What if we find out that we've been consuming a toxic amount of roundup for years without knowing it?

bad idea imo

Pablo

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Since June 23rd, this is the most recent news article about the alfalfa seed that i found!
http://www.gmwatch.org/latest-listing/1-news-items/12306-lawmakers-ask-usda-to-stop-gm-alfalfa

This is a June 23rd news article, Anyone have any news articles that is more up to date, if there is any???

in the news letter it states: Alfalfa is the fourth-largest U.S. field crop grown on about 23 million acres in the U.S. annually. It is pollinated largely by honey bees, making it difficult to isolate biotech alfalfa from conventional varieties.

Anyone know if its safe for the honey bees?

·
Registered
206 Posts
There should be no reason it wouldn't be safe for bees. Its modified to have a protein that protects it from the effects of glyphospate (roundup) which is an herbicide not a pesticide.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37826335/ns/us_news-environment/ this is the story from msnbc about the court battle

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37825376/ns/us_news-environment/ also msnbc about the newly resistant weeds.

Quote from the above article: The weed killer, known generically as glyphosate, is absorbed through plants' leaves and kills them by blocking the production of proteins they need to grow. At the same time, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency considers it to have little toxicity to people and animals, and aside from the plants it's sprayed on, it's less of a threat to the environment because it quickly binds to soil and becomes inactive.

If some kind of herbicide is not used we cannot feed the world and livestock with these crops. Not many farmers are going to be able to hoe 3,000-5,000 acres and if everything is organic we won't be able to afford to feed ourselves and there will be food shortages. Glyphosate is widely accepted as one of the safer ones and has been used since the 70's. No matter what is used some resistance is going to eventually develop .

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am glad they can start selling it. Thanks for the news I will order some seed ASAP. Good stuff!:thumbsup:

I have been waiting for it to be released. Monsanto is a good company in my opinion, and what they have been doing for the crop industry is great. It is called advancement. You know that terrible stuff called science!

That is why we can generate the quantity of soy and corn we can!

·
Registered
32 Posts
dutchbee,

i think theres a lot wrong with what your saying. Remember those commercials in the 60's that said "better living through chemistry", then we learned how bad DDT was, and then agent orange, and then asbestos, now were are learning BPA in plastic is hurting us, toxic chemicals in paints and drywall, fire retardants in furniture, the list never ends.

The way soy and corn is being grown is not sustainable, period. We will not be able to continue producing the amount of crops we now produce, its impossible. One big reason, they are sucking the aquifers in the midwest dry, and they are not being replenished.

In Columbia, they spread a similar product over fields of coca, only 10x more potent (product of Monsanto). 6 months later the locals cough up blood, get terrible 2-3 degree burn like rashes and usually die. Nothing is done, because there is no, quote, 'link' to the use of that herbicide and those physical problems.

What happens when the GMO seeds are the only ones that exist and the natural or 'organic' plants get bred out? If a product does that when its 10x more potent, its got to be doing something to us.

What happens when there's 1 seed producer and 1 farmer?

Pablo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh,

And i went around with the chief bee inspector of the area, who was approached by the USDA and a doctor from Harvard to do a study on why bees are disappearing. Got funding for 50 hives around the area, plus a control group (not a huge study, i know)

Main reason being looked at
1. GMO plants pollen/nectar
2. Being fed High fructose corn syrup (GMO)
3. Chemicals used against Asian long horn beetle
4. An overload of the above

Just saying what the PhD'er said from Harvard.

Pablo

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pablo I respect your views but I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well put Dutch! I agree!

·
Registered
218 Posts
OK Pablo

Say hi to Al next time you see him!:rolleyes:
I disagree. I guess we have two different opinions.

I bet you have a MAC don't you! :D
Drive a VW or Toyota

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK Pablo

Say hi to Al next time you see him!:rolleyes:
I disagree. I guess we have two different opinions.

I bet you have a MAC don't you! :D
Drive a VW or Toyota
This post troubled me a little, and although I wasn't involved at all I found it a little offensive. Maybe I'm misconstruing what you may have meant as simple poking fun, and if so I apologize, but there are very legitimate concerns regarding GMO's which should not be simply shrugged off. While the organisms may not be a harm to our pollinators maybe we should be concerned with what our pollinators are doing with the pollen from these plants. Cross pollination between modified and unadulterated species has the potential to compromise adapted traits (drought resistance, storage quality, competitive ability etc.). So, I suppose my advice would be to really research and understand the product you are buying, as with anything.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts