Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people do not wear gloves and some people do. So far in my little beekeeping experiance, I have worn gloves but today when I went through my hives, I know I killed some bees moving my frames. However, I do nto think I am over the "fear" of being stung multiple times yet.

Any opinions about the issue of wearing gloves?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Isaac:If you would like to try working your hive without gloves, try rubbing on your bare hands a small amount of oil of wintergreen. That will usually keep them away from your hands. As you become accustom to working close to them ,stop using the oil.
Walt

·
Registered
817 Posts
The gloves over time will accumulate the smell of 'sting here'. Every time you open the hive they will smell that and know that your going to bother them. Gloves all so make you work much to fast. If you work the hive real slow then the bees will hardly notice you. The secret in not getting stung is work them slow, warm day, during a honey flow. I work mine with a tee shirt, no gloves, and no veil. But then again I have 30 or so years with the little stingers.

If you don't wear gloves please take any rings off. Your hands will swell at least the first few times. After a while all that will happen is it hurts and hardly any swelling and the pain after a few hours will be gone to.
Dan

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have really small hands and the bee gloves have more finger than I do. ; ) So I use playtex dishwashing gloves.They fit snug and you can feel what you are doing. Plus so easy to wash!

When feeling like I need more protection, I wear my leather garden gloves over those.

Put a little babypower/cornstarch inside the gloves so your hands won't get so sweaty inside. You can put the spearmint oil on these too. Just dilute with a little olive or canola oil.

Martha

·
Registered
86 Posts
The day I hived my first package, I used gloves. I got stung twice, through the gloves, because the gloves didn't give me a fine enough feel. Ever since then, I went to using my bare hands. It's a little daunting for us newcomers, but I find that my touch is better, and it forces me to work slow and carefully.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Isaac, I just started three hives this year over here on Whidbey Island. After reading the Beekeeping for Dummies book several times, I decided to go without gloves the entire time as the author said to "trust" him. I have only been stung once on the leg because I, stupidly, kicked a frame that was on the ground during an inspection and the frame fell back on my leg.
I even caught a swarm without gloves (and that was wild). I always wear a veil (hey, its easy to put on so why not?) and I put rubber bands on my t-shirt sleeves and pant/shorts leggings. No gloves REQUIRES me to work slowly and carefully. That's a good thing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
>>Gloves all so make you work much to fast. <<

I wear gloves and it still takes me forever to check my hive !!!! I'd hate to see how long it took me with out gloves, and now that I have two hives, it seems like I spend a ton of time with my bees. Maybe I'm just slower then most....Oh well, at least its interesting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do what Martha does. I use dish washing gloves. They give you the protection, but arent bulky or difficult to work the hive using. Thinking about it though, I have yet to have any bees attempt to sting my hands while i'm working the hive. I'm not confident enough though, to not use gloves. Maybe someday, but right now, i'm afraid if i were to get stung i'd jerk my hand away and drop a frame or something..

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
I'm just now moving to a no glove approach. Make sure you take all your rings off before you dive in.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Really folks getting stung isn't bad. It's part of the game.
They very seldom sting me in the hand. I almost have to ask for it by moving fast and not watching where I put my fingers. Squeeze a bee and have a bee sting you in the finger, move to fast and they go after your hand or wrist. Work slow and steady they don't know your there and just look at you.
Dan

·
Registered
182 Posts
As one newbie to another, I wanted to make clear that going "no gloves" does not mean there will be no bees on your hands. I have had the occasional bee or two that ride around on the back of my hand during an inspection. They have never stung me then but you do need to be aware that the girl is there or she will crawl around to the front and get squeezed when you grab or pick up something and then sting for self-preservation. I have just gently brushed her off without incident and continued with my inspection. Just keep watching your hands when you touch something or try to pick something up. With gloves on, a beekeeper might just reach over without looking, grab the hive top (for example), and put it on. Without gloves, you gotta see WHERE you put your fingers when you pick the top up. A bee on your skin does not mean a sting is imminent (sp?).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I read the 'For Dummies' book (its the best one I've read, because it doesn't assume you know what you're doing) and have worked gloveless, except when I steal the honey.

I figure thats pushing it.

And yes, the wee beast walk all over my hands, but I figure they are just checking me out. I find the bees generally run away if they they have a chance, rather than attack. Until, of course, something sets them off.

I believe I mostly get stung when a critter sneaks under a fold of clothing, gets stuck, and acts defensively.

I must admit that as a newbie, my heartbeat used to go up a lot when I'd take cover off, but now, a year on, not so much.

My goal is to lose the long sleaved t-shirt, then the veil because I get too hot. Give me another 30 years...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have to tell you this.

The first hive I acquired was 1977. I was living in a small town in the high country of Colorado. I was working the bees with a veil and gloves one day. Just when I was closing everything up I felt about three bees crawling up my pant legs! 0_0
At that point I took off the gloves and veil. I then proceeded to very gently and carefully unbuckle my pants and lower them as the bees were making steady progress upward. I actually got my pants to my knees and the bees went free without a sting!
I then looked up only to see my neighbors wife a couple houses away watching me intently! That stung!

------------------
the ~ox-{ at www.singingfalls.com

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I wear gloves unless I'm doing something where they are a big disadvantage. I have not worn them and had unprovoked attacks on my hands before. Not normally, but once or twice makes you skittish. I don't like getting stung.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, might as well toss my voice in this one too. I wear gloves for the simple reason that having the little ladys walking all over my bare hands would make me twitch. Thats not a good thing when working with the bees. Maybe in a few years I will get past that, and be able to work without the gloves. I actualy can see that working without the gloves would be easyer. You have a better grip, don't have the gloves getting in the way, all that sorta thing.
Still, I must say that for me the gloves where a godsend. WIthout them, I never would have been able to start. I never would have been able to take the top off my first hive, or anything. Now, I am finding I worry less about getting stung, than about being carefull not to squish any of my girls. Gloves my be unnessacery for some, but, for some, thay are a lifesaver.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I am with you Micheal Bush

[This message has been edited by honeyman46408 (edited August 03, 2004).]

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been keeping, with their permission of course, for only three months.
I have never used gloves and I've stopped using the veil. I'm Italian and tend to sweat alot. I wear a short sleeved, white t-shirt and jeans. I've been in my hive 9 or 10 times now and haven't been stung yet.
Two factors are key I think, how gentle is your colony and how much smoke do you use.
I certainly try to not oversmoke. Honestly, I believe my girls would let me in without
any smoke at all. Not that I'll push that envelope.
Ed.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
I don't wear a suite or gloves.

I put lavender essential oils on my hands if I'm going to move frames around etc.

If they get alarmed, I drape a wet towel over my head. They avoid the wet towel. I can peek through an opening in the towel and the wet towel keeps me cool. Good for wiping the sweat off the face and neck.

If I'm going to be separating the hives for any reason, I take it slow and don't get in a hurry. They get alarmed, I cover the unattended open boxes with a damp white cloth.

I get stung sometimes, but I don't mind it.

[This message has been edited by Daisy (edited August 05, 2004).]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts