Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for glove alternatives any ideas?

I have tries the latex but my hands are soaked after a little while.

I do need them my bees are friendly all the time.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Smoke your hand and try gloveless. The only time I break them out is for a mean hive. And yes I do get stong

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
you got 3 options as I see it , goatskin, latex, or gloveless, smoke your hands, move steadily, and watch what you do I check 50 hives, help those I mentor, and have only been stung twice, this year. one was a dead bee in some wax I balled up.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I use thicksters and I get stung every time I dig in to my hives.
I think I'm getting use to being stung.;)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
My favorite glove alternative is bare skin. Though I agree there are reasons to have gloves readily available.

For instance; I recently had a beekeeper friend bring over two colonies of his that had become unmanageably defensive, for me to rehabilitate. The night he brought them over, we definitely needed gloves and a veil. But, by the next morning, they had already calmed down enough for me to work them without gloves or veil.

For more than a decade, once I had first relocated, to where I am now, I kept bees that originated from cutouts. I multiplied the colonies I had, then, by frequent walk-away splits. Those bees, back then, were quite likely, AHBs. They were quite defensive, and I felt the need to use a veil, and gloves, whenever I worked them. This decade was the only time I kept bees that had me regularly using this much, protective gear. I then decided that I needed to change the genetics of the bees I was keeping. I imported a few queens from reliable sources of productive and gentle bees. I learned to raise queens, and requeened all my colonies with daughter queens of those queens. And I continued switching out queens, until all the colonies are gentle and productive. Now, for more than another decade, I can easily work my own bees, with no more protective gear than shoes, shorts, and T-shirt.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use a gardening or contractor type glove. It's a fabric mesh rubberized on the fingers and inner palm area. I buy them by the bundle (20-30 pairs) at home depot for $10ish, keep em around the shop and truck. The non rubberized top stays cool, good grip and like nitrile gloves keeps your hands from getting sticky. I did gloveless for a while but I have allergies, seemed like whenever I itched my eye or touched my face I would end up with a welt or rash where I got propolis on me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i second the contractors gloves with rubber on the fingers palm. they stay cool, bees have stung the gloves, but never made it through. i read somewhere that the cotton fuzziness makes the bees want to sting them more. also they get gunky with propolis, but i just throw them in the wash. gloveless is my goal, but i still get the creepy crawlies when one of them lands on my hand.

my other problem is that i'd like to sometimes be able to take some pictures with my phone, and the gloves don't work on touch screens. i tried cutting a finger off the glove, but that felt like the worst of both worlds. inconvenience of a glove with the lack of protection of gloveless.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thershey; I used the same type glove at a time when my "dish" gloves were not handy ...only going in to replace syrup ...they stung through the cotton backside ...several times ...had a fat hand for 3 days. Have not found the ideal glove yet ..the dish type too sweaty ..the bee gloves too bulky ...other type gloves not long enough to tuck under sleeves....

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all.

I have feral bees, from cutouts and swarm traps most are nice but can be unpredictable.
I don't think gloveless is an option for me, every time I go into the hives I get multiple bees that bounce off my gloves, I would have at least 10 sting for some hives and allot more for a queenless split.

I just ordered some atlas gloves if they don’t work I will use them for something else.
Link

Anyone use the rubber grip gloves?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thershey; I used the same type glove at a time when my "dish" gloves were not handy ...only going in to replace syrup ...they stung through the cotton backside ...several times ...had a fat hand for 3 days. Have not found the ideal glove yet ..the dish type too sweaty ..the bee gloves too bulky ...other type gloves not long enough to tuck under sleeves....
True, true. I got popped four times this past Sunday by one grumpy hive. Had not been stung for months but now they have some liquid gold to protect.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Long time back, I recall someone here getting a very bad infection in a cut on his hand from using dish gloves. Probably best to keeping the insides as clean as possible. If possible turn inside out to dry.
I only have one hive at the moment so i'm not using them for very long at a time. i usually wash my hands after anyway. I don't think they get any dirtier than other gloves.. you just don't notice the sweat in other gloves as easily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts