Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

601 - 619 of 619 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,793 Posts
I grew up in the Lutheran Church MS, about as close to Catholic as you can get theologically without the scary nuns. I cannot recall ever having an issue with the teachings of the Church being at odds with the science I love. Although, to be honest, many of the services I attended were in German and I did not understand much of it until later. Sure there are folks that want to take the current version of our Bible, written and edited by man over the centuries as " gospel truth" , but I take a much broader view. It is not cherrypicking which parts one chooses to believe to recognize that much of the Pentateuch was written with the limited understanding of our world at the time. Climate change, evolution, and a host of things which appear to be contrary to the written Word are and have been through the ages, all part of God's plan.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Free choice is part of God's plan too.
How we doing on that one? Each individual's opinion on that question is a pretty good reading on many questions.
Mine, pretty good but not as well as we could be. Maybe that is from my parents, maybe from the nuns.
A good life does not out way a single mortal sin. Yeah, that one is straight from the nuns.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Vance,
Glad you dropped by for a pop in. Kind of missed you.

·
Super Moderator
5,793 Posts
Free choice is part of God's plan too.
:thumbsup:
We all have free choice as to how we choose to live our lives. We do not have free choice to choose how others live their lives.

I hope to do the best I can and choose wisely how I live my life. Re the mortal sins, I am good on five of the seven, two need a little more work or a whole lot of forgiveness.:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
:thumbsup:
We all have free choice as to how we choose to live our lives. We do not have free choice to choose how others live their lives.

I hope to do the best I can and choose wisely how I live my life. Re the mortal sins, I am good on five of the seven, two need a little more work or a whole lot of forgiveness.:)
Of course we have some choice on how others live their life. It's called laws. We can't force anyone to not break a law, but without law we all suffer.

I'm still working on the first commandment. It's not like we don't break that one almost every day.

It is somewhat of a sore topic for me that most of the homilies head today focus on forgiveness or mercy, but not much on the need for repentance, let alone reparation, which the former is dependent on. Considering the considerable task of working to have a good "hereafter" I see peer pressure as a general good most of the time. Respecting another persons free choice doesn't mean never suggesting changes in behavior. "I am my brothers keeper" comes to mind.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Trin,
For your first post ever I cannot actually disagree with anything you say. Maybe a little uncomfortable with some of the emphasis, but not actual disagreement. ( I am sure this gives you an immense sense of joy. :lookout:)

·
Super Moderator
5,793 Posts
Trin, I think you meant the second commandment, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". That at least is the one I most often break. As far as the first, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me", well some people tend to worship the almighty dollar.

Anyhow, the free choices I was refering to were within the confines of legal and moral activities. Suppose I wanted to drink a Super Big Gulp, chock full of sugar and caffine, does anyone, anywhere, have the right to take that choice away from me? That is more in line with the direction I was going.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
No right to take away the choice. But, no right to serve you the Big Gulp without your knowledge either.
Ignorance is not bliss, doing it anyway is the bliss.
Sad but true.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Trin, I think you meant the second commandment, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". That at least is the one I most often break. As far as the first, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me", well some people tend to worship the almighty dollar.

Anyhow, the free choices I was refering to were within the confines of legal and moral activities. Suppose I wanted to drink a Super Big Gulp, chock full of sugar and caffine, does anyone, anywhere, have the right to take that choice away from me? That is more in line with the direction I was going.
Actually we should follow the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes; words to live life by, and Jesus said them too.:)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Salty: "no right to serve you the Big Gulp without your knowledge either."
So if that Gulp is a medical shot, does anyone have the right to serve it to me or my children without me knowing? Or without my consent? Or force me to have it in order to participate in public society? I believe 2 things: Massachusetts now requires any child attending school to get the flu vaccine (by this December). And this vaccine has never been tested (and studied with control group) on pregnant women. Is that a moral law? Given that most civilised countries joined the Nuremberg convention of not doing medical tests on humans without their informed consent? Because, ummm, Nazis. (the US did not sign....) And what's more the manufacturers are legally exempt from any liability. As a beekeeper, I propose we pass legislation in each state that every school child MUST consume 25# of locally produced honey per year, that we need not test whether it is safe or makes any difference, and that beekeepers are exempt from any liability (ie no longer need to carry any insurance). The health insurance companies would be required to pay for the product, with appropriate federal and state subsidies as well as copays, where applicable. I think that would be good for business, may help people, and would reduce the scourge of imported adulterated honey (remember the law stated local honey). Lets all work on those legal changes and those of us who can / want to can start investing in more bee equipment!
I know this is not about global warming but we seem to have drifted far afield....

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
GG "Humans want to be influenced". A pretty frail and needy creature, eh!;)
so many "kids" seem to seek Acceptance today by "following" something. in my day bell bottoms, today whatever. climate culture, virtue signaling, fashion, "in crowds" are a few.

GG

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Salty: "no right to serve you the Big Gulp without your knowledge either."
So if that Gulp is a medical shot, does anyone have the right to serve it to me or my children without me knowing? Or without my consent? Or force me to have it in order to participate in public society? I believe 2 things: Massachusetts now requires any child attending school to get the flu vaccine (by this December). And this vaccine has never been tested (and studied with control group) on pregnant women. Is that a moral law? Given that most civilised countries joined the Nuremberg convention of not doing medical tests on humans without their informed consent? Because, ummm, Nazis. (the US did not sign....) And what's more the manufacturers are legally exempt from any liability. As a beekeeper, I propose we pass legislation in each state that every school child MUST consume 25# of locally produced honey per year, that we need not test whether it is safe or makes any difference, and that beekeepers are exempt from any liability (ie no longer need to carry any insurance). The health insurance companies would be required to pay for the product, with appropriate federal and state subsidies as well as copays, where applicable. I think that would be good for business, may help people, and would reduce the scourge of imported adulterated honey (remember the law stated local honey). Lets all work on those legal changes and those of us who can / want to can start investing in more bee equipment!
I know this is not about global warming but we seem to have drifted far afield....
+ 1

drift on

GG

·
Registered
565 Posts

Actually I was referring to; Mathew 22:27-29 “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself" Very difficult to do this, my guess; the most often broken. Yet the one that will "fix" the world.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
You shall love your neighbor as yourself" Very difficult to do this, my guess; the most often broken. Yet the one that will "fix" the world.

I will, just as soon as they straighten out.

·
Registered
565 Posts
:thumbsup: Very interesting video. Concurs with much of what I have learned over the years. Especially the co-option of the education system. I have been aware of that for a long time and is the reason we home schooled.

·
Registered
565 Posts
When a person well versed in Philosophy and logic responds........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Socyk6TxuB4

I am not a Globalist as far as surrendering national sovereignty. Being concerned for people in general and their basic welfare is a matter of justice, however allowing the elitist wealthy globalists to determine distribution is an oxymoron. Their track record is hideous. Americans deforested a lot of the continent to grow our own nation. Then we realized the landscape looked bad and began a re-forestation program. We now have more forest acreage than when Europeans first arrived. While it is really magnificent to see old growth forests, and I am all for preserving those tracts that still exist, it is not logical to think that all of the wealth of the original forests should have been preserved.

·
Super Moderator
5,793 Posts
While searching through the resources section to find important information to "sticky", I ran across this humorous article from 2013.

601 - 619 of 619 Posts