Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

581 - 600 of 619 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
LJ - Thanks for the explanation of the word "faith". I fear I will never improve my comprehension of the english language enough to express myself properly. It is likely why I drifted into a "fact" based (science?) and math path.

Global warming: Does or will it provide the motivation to innovate. Drive us to find solutions to controlling our environment much like bees do and as we have already done? But on a bigger scale now that we have more tools. That's the beneficial offset to global warming.

I posted a little sign on my simple farm stand. It essentially states " Free veggies - donations accepted for honey, all donations go to environmental efforts". I raised far more than expected, been making significant contributions to food banks and land conservation. With the support of the donations I will try to tool up to run an improved insulation experiment this winter which will focus on the applications impact on temperature, relative humidity and CO2 (impossible) with observations about hive survival and honey production and storage.

I have extracted more honey this year than before with fewer hives in a season cut short by drought. But I have also noted some differences in winter brood chamber honey storage approaches by various colonies in various life cycle stages. Lots of variables create lots of variations. It would seem I have solid evidence supporting the benefits of modern insulation applications with wooden honey bee hives - all year. Do not have the resources to run full up test trials with sufficient hives unchanged for comparison. Instead I focus on vectors which provide a sense of direction to support a hypothesis. "Provide a proper shelter and the honey bees will manage /optimize their internal environment for survival." Recognizing what is good, better and improvement is not easy but I believe the tools are available to provide insight.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Robert, I have spent some time with another forum member that is also experimenting with insulated hives. It is interesting. A tree hollow is likely more insulative than a 3/4" sided box. I wonder about all the variables; How hard the winter is, how insulation effects stores consumption, How does average humidity effect both of the former, for just a few. In addition we really don't know how bees deal with viruses and what the viruses cause as effects. Protection from cold winter drafts? There are so many variables. It will probably take a lifetime of experiments to figure a few things out.

There is a general perception here in the North that "Southern" raised bees bought and shipped North do not do as well over wintering as local born bees. Maybe something to this or maybe not. It could be that Northern bees generally have more fat body tissue.?? This is just one question among many. I notice that we as a species can adapt to a new environment after a period of time. If I go out West and spend time hiking at higher elevations it takes me a week or two to feel comfortable with the lower oxygen concentrations. I expect the physiology of a person living at high elevations would be different than a flat lander like myself. So the question regarding bees, is with change, how fast will they adapt to reach an optimization to a different environment. Entomological studies show insects presenting adaptations fairly quickly. My dad saw this with the flies he studied. I don't remember how many generations it took.

What we hope to do is tinker around and try to find a change that provides a general better outcome. Hard to do with the globalization problem with disease and pests being spread. One question I do have is; what constitutes a "winter bee". Do they survive longer because they aren't flying? It is known that they have a larger fat body tissue. How does the hive/queen know how to create that? Or is it simply a result of early/young bee behavior? (nurse bees may use up some portion of their fat body tissue doing their jobs, so smaller brood nest size might be the determining factor) One can imagine a comparison to us holing up in the house for the Winter sitting on the couch eating Doritos- and the resulting fat.

Personally I don't think we have a macro effect on our environment. However I am a proponent for reducing pollution and working on sensible solutions for climate trends. I am geared toward innovation. I much prefer a local economy type of society. We are as a nation producing a lot of food with mega farms and the like. I don't like it much as it puts small family farms in financial distress. I also question if the food has the same quality as it formerly did. Central control of commodities is not eventually a good thing in my opinion. A few years back I remember a proposal from a leftest organization that all home gardens must be controlled and taxed. In addition all farm animals would be chipped so that commerce could be tracked and controlled. I don't have to say what I think of this lunacy.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Trin " In addition all farm animals would be chipped so that commerce could be tracked and controlled. I don't have to say what I think of this lunacy." Horses had to be vetted with papers before crossing state lines. A chip is not a bad idea as an aid to controlling the spread of diseases between farms. I believe sheep have similar requirements, at least around here.

THe only issue I am having with insulated hives with limited ventilation all year is I did not move fast enough - hindered by my respect for general opinions as many times there is a fundamental basis for the dogma even if misconstrued. No longer now, I am going all in with a tree like hive design or better. I separate disease from the bee's system control capabilities. Measuring the internal environments is also getting easier. The sleeve insulation simply made it easier to apply and use all year. My hives are already insulated. I do not have to winter-prep the hives but I am feeding soon - the drought continues. Another Clue - propolis is part of the system control.

I grow veggies, keep chickens as hedge and have capabilities to always fish. Unfortunately I am in the "ground zero" zone.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Here's a link to one such attempt.

https://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/20...government-the-power-to-regulate-your-garden/

We had similar legislation being considered in our own state. Included was a proposal to chip every farm animal. Tracking disease is one thing, on the other hand we seem to be doing just fine without it. The added burden and cost was part of the logic and momentum to defeat the legislation. To me it is a disturbing slippery slope that I don't want to allow. To be clear many farm animal shipments require a sign off from a vet. I think this is adequate.

I have friends who butcher downed farm animals instead of just having them hauled away. They contribute a considerable amount of meat to local poor families. This has been a generations long practice. It's called common sense.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Northern CA, the bees and I know Climate Change is real 🔥🔥🔥. The poor girls had a heck if a time in this smoke—-most flying insects and birds stayed put, but the bees kept flying.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
No one here has disputed my point. Instead it is simply inane denial.

If a university happened to be run by the Nazi party I would venture a guess it would follow specific biases. The same kind of thing IS going on in the USA with most of the universities practicing open hostility to anyone who objects to an atheistic, Darwinist, Marxist, approach to science. Peer review is then very problematic as many of the "peers" are indoctrinated with the same biases. Peer review, or any other populist agreement on virtually anything does not determine reality in the least.

It doesn't hold any value simply to say stupid things like "you're a climate denier" etc. It's just the same product of a system bent on controlling other people and silencing them. My belief is that we do this at potential great peril.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sRYsMjiAQ Aside from some poor language I think the point is valid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_hC2T5PB9I

The system is broken. https://www.nature.com/news/peer-review-troubled-from-the-start-1.19763

It is noticeable that the "Hockey stick" graph was peer reviewed and many "so-called scientists" signed on to it's veracity. Only to find out that the data was fabricated. Did these afore mentioned scientists withdraw their assent? No way, that would be admitting they had been duped. Instead the cry about imminent doom by the earth boiling was renamed and repackaged as "climate change".
As I recall from history "The earth is Flat" was peer reviewed at almost 100% by the current trusted scientists, well except the 2 or 3 they put in Jail for saying the earth is a globe. Those dang flat earth deniers,, re-education......Jail...
Humans, so predictable.

GG

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Climate change is cyclic largely controlled by the occillation of the planet on its axis. Cities cause heat rise locally but are a miniscule portion of the planet surface. The rest is political balony. The fact that Calibonia and Organ and Insleemania fail to manage their forests is just pathetic.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
The scientists of the day were pretty much under the control of the religious powers, so I would not ascribe much credence to that peer review process. At least, today, they are out from under heavy influence from that source.

It is always possible to cherrypick past examples that really are not predictive of the potential value of the scientific process looking forward. If that fails us.........:ws:

·
Registered
575 Posts
The scientists of the day were pretty much under the control of the religious powers, so I would not ascribe much credence to that peer review process. At least, today, they are out from under heavy influence from that source.

It is always possible to cherrypick past examples that really are not predictive of the potential value of the scientific process looking forward. If that fails us.........:ws:
This is typical anti-religious bigotry. Many of the most momentous discoveries in science were made by people who identified as religeous. You are simply proving my point that Marxist atheistic bias has made deep penetration into the education systems of much of the world. The only common denominator is that man is still arrogant.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here's a link to one such attempt.

https://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/20...government-the-power-to-regulate-your-garden/

We had similar legislation being considered in our own state. Included was a proposal to chip every farm animal. Tracking disease is one thing, on the other hand we seem to be doing just fine without it. The added burden and cost was part of the logic and momentum to defeat the legislation. To me it is a disturbing slippery slope that I don't want to allow. To be clear many farm animal shipments require a sign off from a vet. I think this is adequate.

I have friends who butcher downed farm animals instead of just having them hauled away. They contribute a considerable amount of meat to local poor families. This has been a generations long practice. It's called common sense.
We are cattle farmers and would never eat an animal that went down unless it was from an accident, and even then it needs to be butchered well before infection sets in. We are required to have govt. tags on all cattle sold, this allows tracing back to the farms so an outbreak of disease or a transmission to the consumer of dangerous diseases such as BSE does not happen.

The public is the unsuspecting victims of such practices and why should they pay for a tainted product? If we want to market our beef it is our responsibility to make sure it is safe for the public. I guess the comment I once heard stands " if you want to buy a side of beef, buy a side from the one the farmer is eating, he will save the best for himself."

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Frank,

Right,,,,,, Now it is A different source, Funding source, Virtue Signaling, Following the crowd.
There will always be a "Heavy Influence" from somewhere. Humans want to be influenced.

GG

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good one. This is what I have been trying to bring up as a question to consider. Looks to me we have a world wide chicken little pandemic.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We are cattle farmers and would never eat an animal that went down unless it was from an accident, and even then it needs to be butchered well before infection sets in. We are required to have govt. tags on all cattle sold, this allows tracing back to the farms so an outbreak of disease or a transmission to the consumer of dangerous diseases such as BSE does not happen.

The public is the unsuspecting victims of such practices and why should they pay for a tainted product? If we want to market our beef it is our responsibility to make sure it is safe for the public. I guess the comment I once heard stands " if you want to buy a side of beef, buy a side from the one the farmer is eating, he will save the best for himself."
Rest assured all of the animals in question were injured. They are usually killed within a short period of time and hauled to a cooler. And yes the folks doing this eat a lot of the product. None of it is sold.

I usually buy a beef raised locally from a friend. I know how he raises his cattle and appreciate his no antibiotics or growth hormone practices. It is a bonus to butcher ourselves but I sometimes hire it out. The facility is kept very clean and disinfected.

It's also the best I can find. Never had a steak in a restaurant that came close in quality.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,824 Posts
Many of the most momentous discoveries in science were made by people who identified as religeous.
And y et when they made public their discoveries, they were denounced as heretics.

In my mind, science and religion can walk hand in hand, unless you are one of those that thinks the world is only 6000 years old...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I completely agree. I would disagree that the "flat earth" debate was as it is currently portrayed. I think this is some of the same revisionist history propaganda. Aristotle was condemned in part because of his promotion of pantheism. I expect this philosophy he held was the cause of distrust of his other works.

https://creation.com/the-flat-earth-myth-and-creationism

https://www.catholic.com/tract/the-galileo-controversy

https://www.thegreatcoursesdaily.com/aristotle-on-astronomy-supporters-and-challengers/

It is a sorry thing that history is written by the victors. I wonder how the Chinese Maoist's explain the 60 million deaths of their fellow citizen's in their history books during the "peoples revolution"

·
Registered
162 Posts
In my mind, science and religion can walk hand in hand, unless you are one of those that thinks the world is only 6000 years old...
I think once you pick and choose parts of the religion you are no longer a believer.
ks

ps I gave up religion for lent in 1985, mostly for that reason.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I think once you pick and choose parts of the religion you are no longer a believer.
ks

ps I gave up religion for lent in 1985, mostly for that reason.
Mass in English and greet your fellow parishioners. Just not the same. If it does not have scary nuns it is not really mass.

581 - 600 of 619 Posts