Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to requeen some hives and was looking at Glenn Apiaries queens. The only problem is the price per queen! Does anyone have any feedback on them. I dont mind spending the money if its worth it and they seem to have it together. Im just scared the queen will not make it and I will be out all the money.. Any advice or suggestions

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
What do they cost?

I buy queens that cost $12.00 each, by the hundred. I also buy queens that cost $15.00, by the less than 100. I bought queens from a friend in VT at $20.00, in 100 queen lots.

When one queen out of 100 dies that makes the rest more expensive(?) or more valuable(?).

But you didn't tell us what they cost,so we have nothing to compare to. They aren't breeder queens, are they? Those could cost you $500.00 each or more. I've never heard of anyone who asked for a 100 queen discount on those.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Those queens are for breeding queens, not for hive production. Look for someone who breeds queens from them. He has a link on his website.

·
Registered
433 Posts
they are artificially inseminated breeder queens and NOT intended for production use. often times they do not lay as well or as long as a naturally mated queen.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Im just scared the queen will not make it and I will be out all the money.. Any advice or suggestions
Life is a gamble. I've lost my fair share of queens and it stinks. It's the way it is. Sometimes the delivery process claims those queens and that REALLY stinks.

These are breeder queens. That's the reason they cost so much. You buy them to produce production queens for your hives. The average beekeeper would not likely buy these to place in a colony to make honey. They have the genetics you want to reproduce for you to rasie your own queens. Glenn Apiaries is on the cutting edge and is a high quality operation.

Grant
Jackson, MO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts