Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone else name their queens, or is it just me? And if you do, how do you decide what to name them?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Naming queens is cute and works when you have just a few hives. After awhile it becomes troublesome to remember who is who.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I love telling a joke about naming queens, when I'm speaking to groups. It's a joke but it's also serious. I'm trying to speak about the importance of requeening colonies when the queen should be replaced. I ask the audience, "Who names their queens". A couple beekeepers raise their hands. Then I ask...Come on now...who really does. More raise their hands. And more and more. I'm trying to say, when you name your queens , how will you ever kill and replace Clover, or MaryJane, or Suzie-Q. Then I say, "I too name my queens, but they're all named Martha. When it's time for Martha to go, I replace her with....Martha!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I only name those bees which sting me, and as this is a family forum I think it best if I refrain from listing the names most commonly used. :)
LJ
Yes, and often I refer to them by their full name.

I have a hot hive in one of my yards that is overly enthusiastic in greeting me as soon as I pull in. They shower me with attention the entire time I’m there. I can’t figure out which hive it is though, so yes, a fair bit of first, middle and last names are being given and called of late.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I only name those bees which sting me, and as this is a family forum I think it best if I refrain from listing the names most commonly used. :)
LJ
LJ, I must have a few of those dames.:D

In solidarity with my "fortnight" friend, I will name the next queen to swarm, leaving all she had "Meghan":pk:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Naming even chickens is problematic (forget the insects).

The thing is - that chicken named Mary will stop laying eggs one day and be ready for a stew.
How in a world would you tell your kids about the chicken broth from Mary?
:)

OK, BLAH_1.1 and BLAH_1.2 are good and consistent queen codes for the record.
Do need some consistent records and , thus, some queen tracking is needed - true.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I tell kids that I name all of my bees, and then I make a few remarks, using their names or names known to them, like, “Oh, there’s Sarah 124”, or “Watch Rachel 435 bring some pollen to the hive”. It’s an icebreaker, and many true bee stories result.

You will be surprised how many adults believe it when it is suggested that I brand my bees.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tell kids that I name all of my bees, and then I make a few remarks, using their names or names known to them, like, “Oh, there’s Sarah 124”, or “Watch Rachel 435 bring some pollen to the hive”. It’s an icebreaker, and many true bee stories result.

You will be surprised how many adults believe it when it is suggested that I brand my bees.
LOVE IT! Boudicea or Beedicea would be a good names to start with, though the Celt part would be Italianized or come from the Caucasus. This year I may add some VHS Italian Queens to my Apiary.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

I got quite a chuckle out of this- thanks for sharing. I'll have to try this on my kids...

Russ

·
Registered
177 Posts
We name ours (colonies not queens) after baseball teams. Minor league baseball teams have amazing names. One is the Modesto Nuts. Eight years now and they are still going strong, requeening themselves. The split off the Nuts was named the Lansing Lugnuts. Even high school teams get a mention; the Maryetta Raiders do not rob and plunder any worse than the rest. The "Bees" would have been too confusing :).

·
Registered
298 Posts

I told some folks once that the electric fence was to keep the bees in the yard. It took them awhile to realize I was joking.

As to names, when I first got my bees I joked I would name the queens. I had names all ready: Abbee, Bobee, Colbee, Dilbee, Gabee, Kilbee, Libbee, Phoebe, Silbee, Trilbee.

I never got beyond Abbee.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I love telling a joke about naming queens, when I'm speaking to groups. It's a joke but it's also serious. I'm trying to speak about the importance of requeening colonies when the queen should be replaced. I ask the audience, "Who names their queens". A couple beekeepers raise their hands. Then I ask...Come on now...who really does. More raise their hands. And more and more. I'm trying to say, when you name your queens , how will you ever kill and replace Clover, or MaryJane, or Suzie-Q. Then I say, "I too name my queens, but they're all named Martha. When it's time for Martha to go, I replace her with....Martha!
Always the first thing that comes to mind. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts