Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had given 3 frames of capped brood to 3 frames of weak bee hive. But now I was doubting that will they hatch. I was giving sugar syrup when it's over because forager bees can't feed to more nurses. So I kept sugar water. Can I keep any air tight cloth on frames so that they can get some heat. I also reduced 2 entrances to one entrance. What are measures I need to take for hatching of all capped brood without failing.馃ズ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had given 3 frames of capped brood to 3 frames of weak bee hive. But now I was doubting that will they hatch. I was giving sugar syrup when it's over because forager bees can't feed to more nurses. So I kept sugar water. Can I keep any air tight cloth on frames so that they can get some heat. I also reduced 2 entrances to one entrance. What are measures I need to take for hatching of all capped brood without failing.馃ズ
@Oldtimer could you pls reply me if you know any thing abt my problem....

Registered
Rishi it depends if there are enough bees to cover all the brood even at the coldest part of the night.

If there are not it is better to give them one frame of brood only, then when it hatches another, etc. It may seem this method will take longer but it is faster than if too much brood is given and it dies.

I don't think anyone can say for sure without seeing the hive, but if you think the brood is not covered by the bees fully at night, it probably is not. If that is the case it might be best to put some of the brood back into the parent hive, and the brood you leave in the weak hive should be the brood that is very near to hatching.

If I did not answer your question right, please ask some more so others here can share their thoughts (y)

Registered
Think Oldtimer nailed it, numbers have to be great enough to cover the brood. You used capped brood which is great it should increase numbers so long as it didn鈥檛 get chilled. The idea of giving of one frame of brood at a time to increase ability to cover is excellent advice. Continue feeding as you are correct you maybe without foragers for a bit.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rishi it depends if there are enough bees to cover all the brood even at the coldest part of the night.

If there are not it is better to give them one frame of brood only, then when it hatches another, etc. It may seem this method will take longer but it is faster than if too much brood is given and it dies.

I don't think anyone can say for sure without seeing the hive, but if you think the brood is not covered by the bees fully at night, it probably is not. If that is the case it might be best to put some of the brood back into the parent hive, and the brood you leave in the weak hive should be the brood that is very near to hatching.

If I did not answer your question right, please ask some more so others here can share their thoughts (y)
I covered top of the frames with cloth and a polythene cover(cloth is for absorbing the wet coming from polythene). And closed it. By this time it's 24 hrs, I covered. I found nearly 100 nurse bees hatched from one frame. I was happy but added a frame with only pollen and honey for them. Now that hive had 5 frames of honey and pollen. So it's enough for them for few weeks i think. Hope my experiment won't fail馃檪... I'll post their updates...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I covered top of the frames with cloth and a polythene cover(cloth is for absorbing the wet coming from polythene). And closed it. By this time it's 24 hrs, I covered. I found nearly 100 nurse bees hatched from one frame. I was happy but added a frame with only pollen and honey for them. Now that hive had 5 frames of honey and pollen. So it's enough for them for few weeks i think. Hope my experiment won't fail馃檪... I'll post their updates...
Hi there... nearly half of the frame nurses came out and feeder also completed so added feeder again. Hive was attacked by wax moth last time.so they were very aggressive (or maybe queen genes) and got two stings馃榾... And from that 3 frames 1 frame had some younger larvae they removed them馃ぇ may be they can't feed that much...but they were not removing capped one. Didn't took the pics today. I'll post pics tomorrow..

Registered
I had given 3 frames of capped brood to 3 frames of weak bee hive.
I don't know how exactly you have added the frames and what are you local conditions (unsure what your national flag is).
But, this is how I would have done it if I had to add three capped brood frames.

Registered
I don't know how exactly you have added the frames and what are you local conditions (unsure what your national flag is).
But, this is how I would have done it if I had to add three capped brood frames.

View attachment 64695
Think it鈥檚 a India flag, Greg. This is interesting on the insulation side I am guessing insulate board used as a divider?

Registered
Think it鈥檚 a India flag, Greg. This is interesting on the insulation side I am guessing insulate board used as a divider?
OK, I figured it was India but did not bother with drilling down. So, the weather should be warm to hot in general, I presume.

Sure, I am big on the dummy frames and use them all the time and everywhere (both insulated and just plain plywood).
Pretty much even with the Langs (I have a "student" on a Lang system currently), I'd much rather run a double-body with reducers vs. a flat single-body without (e.g. 5x5 vs. 10)
In the case presented (above) even a quick cardboard pane as a side reducer will work great. I love cardboard.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi there... nearly half of the frame nurses came out and feeder also completed so added feeder again. Hive was attacked by wax moth last time.so they were very aggressive (or maybe queen genes) and got two stings馃榾... And from that 3 frames 1 frame had some younger larvae they removed them馃ぇ may be they can't feed that much...but they were not removing capped one. Didn't took the pics today. I'll po
st pics tomorrow..
Here are today's pics of the frames. Nearly half of the nurses came out.i was giving little 100ml feeder and filling it daily when they completing it. Slowly it was growing I'm happy馃檪

Registered
Wow those bees are spread pretty thin Rishi, hope it works out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts