Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this year new with 3 packages, one of which arrived with a dead queen. it took 3 days for the new queen to arrive, and another three days to introduce her. putting the hive a week behind the other two. Last Wednesday I had time available and did hive checks the two strong hives had the bottom boxes full of bees brood and stores, and 3 too 4 frames of brood in the top boxes. the hive that arrived with a dead queen in the package Only had 3 frames of bees and brood. I pondered the situation and decide I needed to bolster the weak hive I figured I would take a frame of brood from each of the strong hives and give it to the Weak one. Friday was the only day I has to do this as I was to be out of town over the next several days. It was not a perfect day for the task a, overcast, a bit chilly and breezy. I went to the hives and pulled a frame of mostly capped brood. covered with brood I inspected the frames for the queen I did not see her, I looked for the telltale empty space that often follows the queen. Then added them to the weak hive, bees and all.

Ever since I left home It has been on my mind that I hope I did not transfer one or both of the queen from my strong hives I did not check the hives to be sure where the queen was.

My luck with bee has been so bad I can't help But thing I play a significant role their demise. Now I find myself questioning my own Judgment.

what are the odds that a queen would be on a frame that was 75%+ full of capped brood.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
It is highly unlikely that the queen would be on a frame of mostly capped brood. queen in a well functioning hive spend most of their time laying eggs once they fill our the typical horseshoe pattern on a frame they tend to move on. There is however always the possibility that you could get her crossing over, although slight. Simply inspect the suspect hives in 3 days or more if you see eggs the queen is there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts