Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a beginning beekeeper, doing it for personal consumption, gifts, as a learning experience and just for fun. Do not anticipate ever having more than 2-4 hives, and do not really care to get involved in the sale of the honey. Does anyone have experience with contributing honey to charities, food pantries, or possibly to the local PBS station during one of their auctions? Any other similar suggestions on getting rid of surplus honey? What problems can I anticipate, particularly with the Health Dept? (Yes, I know I am jumping the gun and probably will not get any honey this year, but hope springs eternal.)

I am running all mediums, foundationless and as treatment free as possible. Most of the honey will be harvested in the comb.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Most organizations that accept food only accept donations from the public that are non-perishable and not expired. I don't think home canned or bottled goods would make it. You could call and ask.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
we donate honey to the local npr fundraiser as well as well as a local helping hands fund raising auction. no hoops so far.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Does anyone have experience with contributing honey to charities, food pantries, or possibly to the local PBS station during one of their auctions? What problems can I anticipate, particularly with the Health Dept? (Yes, I know I am jumping the gun and probably will not get any honey this year, but hope springs eternal.)
i don't think you will have any problems donating honey. Health Dept. regulations generally are for honey for sale only, but I am not sure. We donate honey to a local monastery all the time. Check out the Sweet Virginia Foundation. They do something similar, but they sell their honey for a lot of money- and then donate the proceeds to charity. Interesting model.
http://sweetvirginia.com/

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hunters are allowed to donate game to mission kitchens and we can donate honey also, they are happy to get it. I sell honey but also donate a percentage of my harvest to a local food pantry and as youth group fundraiser for church. If you wanted you can get a receipt for the value for tax purposes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts