Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been cold out the last couple of weeks here in the Ft Worth area. Record snow fall, cold temps but the girls were out today. Great to see them. No loses. Fead some old cut out honey, sugar water and megabee. They were real happy. I was too. Lots of polen from unknown source.I was suprised to see the polen of bright orange and yellow with the temps and snow beeing like they were the last 2 weeks. Spring will bee here before you know it. I'm ready.:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
My girls have been out in full force the last few days at least! I love it, after such a time without seeing them leave the hive very much it's nice to see that they're still strong as ever.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Beaver Dam - you just wrote my post!
I'm just east of Dallas, I was so happy to see the young ladies out flying at all three of my hives today. :banana:
No cut comb to use here, but got some patties and fondant in all the hives today.
I feel much less stressed about the hives now.
Steve

·
Registered
328 Posts
My girls were bringing in pollen too. I have seen dandilion flowers in the fields.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The dandelions were blooming heavy today. Bradford Pears are about to open in the next week. Checking the Cedar Elms tomorrow. I watch the elms closer than anthing here. Since that is what I have most of. They appear to be about 2-3 weeks behind from last year. It's been a harsh nasty winter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is kind of funny, a bunch of grown men hanging around...

OMG! THERE'S FLOWERS!!!

I have never paid attention to wild flowers so much in my life until I started this.

:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yeah it was low to mid fifties here today and I came home early from work just to see if they were in the air. Low and behold they were. Stood in front of the hives and the girls were just rolling out. It was awesome. Come on spring Peace

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes today have been busy for me painting my hives getting ready for spring an boy was my girls on a roll today and tomarrow an sunday even better. I saw one bee with pollen but they were hitting syrup hard. I could hear two of my big hives roaring when i was painting the ones that was looking bad i even gave my nucs and extra coat of paint and next week it is going to be warm and i am going to put pollen patties on to build them up so whenthe maples bloom which won't be long to split and get my nucs ready.

THOMAS

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Darn. A cold snop is headed this way for the first part of next week (Monday.). However, all hives were working open Megabee and sugar water mix for the last 2-3 days. I think I've made it thru the winter here in North Centeral Texas. 8 for 8. I think this will be our last cold weather (I hope ). Temps should be in the 60's for day time highs. Working in the northern part of Ft Worth the last couple of days show dandelions and jasmin beginning to flower. Spring must be right around the corner. Will be taking a walk up there tomorrow to see if it's there. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'M SO JEALOUS!!!

We might get some early spring flowers here...in a month... :waiting:

*sigh*

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a quick question for the other North Texans. I am going to feed them some sugar water today. Do I need to feed them pollen patties if they are already bringing it in from elsewhere?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been feeding heavy on a daily bases. I have 9 Queens from all over the country coming this spring and plan on doing splits. I have 4 open sugar water feeders and 2 open mega bee feeders and they are working them good. I have also put out some honey that I had from last year cut-outs. I say feed untill plants start flowering then feed more.. Flower polen is just begining to come in here around the Ft Worth Texas area. Spring is here. Maybe next week? However Wild plum haven't started yet. How about other areas? Dandelion (yellow) and a (red polen? comming in) and white. Already getting stung on a daily bases, am I setting to close to the enterances?

·
Registered
328 Posts
My girls were out...they were bringing back megabee from Beaver's house. I planted a bunch of white clover . I can't wait until this stuff starts blooming. Whats up with another snow for us on Tuesday?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I’ve had mine on Mega Bee Patties and 1:1 for a few weeks now. They are building up quickly. A couple are sucking up about 1 ½ quarts a day. (When temps are good) The Dandelions are blooming good. They are also working another flower real hard. I think it’s the one linked below. Looks a lot like it.

http://www.wildflower.org/gallery/species.php?id_plant=CLVI3

·
Registered
13 Posts
My bees were VERY active this weekend as we broke 60 twice (snow is almost all gone). Pollen coming in ranged from almost white to green to orange to magenta (maples).

Sadly, I also had to clean out a dead-out :(, but the remaining hive is rockin' and rollin'. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
My bees were working Saturday and Sunday bringing in pollen and nectar. I added a couple of feeders with sugar syrup to help them. I am very happy mine made it through this bad winter here in Alabama. Maybe we can harvest a little honey this year.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had bees out this weekend on cleansing flights. It was around 45 in the sun and they only came out once the hives were in the sun for a couple of hours. Didn't stay out long. HUNDREDS of dead bees at the entrance. I cleaned them out with a stick. Hopefully that's just natural death after the couple of weeks since they've been out. Sure would hate to lose them headed into March. The problem is I'm waiting for a warm day (around 50) before going in to check on them. One hive has MCM sugar on top. The other does not and the cluster is nowhere near the top. Hope that means they have plenty of food!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts