Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been noticing that recently all the bees seem to be home relatively early in the afternoon 3-4 pm and not much outgoing activiity after that...We have 3 hives and all seem to exhibit the same ...We have daylight till 8 pm easily...Up until now they seemed to forage at least till 6-6:30 pm...

Wondering what can cause this...Dearth..? Anybody has any similar observations to share..?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"Wondering what can cause this...Dearth..?"

Could be,..might be. I noticed yesterday that some of the sweet clover was turning brown and not too many blooms left on the tops. There are other plants blooming but I don't know how much nectar they are providing. Goldenrod is starting to bloom here but not large areas of it yet. My bees aren't in my backyard though, in order to observe these different things.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I've noticed that as well. For me, it seems that it happens more on hot days and a lot of the bees are hanging around outside. Dearth I guess, but I'm not sure. There is activity, but not like there was a few weeks ago. There are, however, PLENTY of bees in the hive.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
some flowering plants will stop nectar production which will cause bees to return to their hives. buckwheat is notorious for doing so. maybe that is what is happening.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Even my bees on the cotton are bearding at 6 p.m. Still plenty working, but they are out in force below the LB. All 5 hives are doing the same at completely different locations

1 - 5 of 5 Posts