Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While traveling across the next county last week, amid all the fields of cotton, I came up a large field of giant sunflowers right next to the road. The sunflowers had heads in full bloom about the size of a coffee saucer or slightly larger.

Looking down the edge of the sunflowers, I saw a beek had set about 8 or so hives.

Are these sunflowers a good nectar source? I've read where bees like sunflowers but haven't seen a single bee on the wild, smaller sunflowers that grow along the roads and fencerows.

I must confess to be envious, I wish I could have put my girls on that field of sunflowers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I posted a similar question on another forum. The answer I received (and accept) was that, yes - sunflowers are excellent sources of nectar for bees. Apparently, sunflower honey does granulate quickly though.

As for the small roadside 'sunflowers', I suspect that they aren't really sunflowers at all, but instead Brown-eyed susan's. And I have never seen a bee on them either!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know it's wonderful for pollen. We put some out each year and when I see bees on it, their sacks are full.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts