Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a serious threat to beekeeping in North America! I would suggest it is the Covid19 equivalent threat to beekeeping and our food sources that depend on beekeeping for pollination.
As beekeepers we all know the importance of our symbiotic relationship with farming and crops dependent on us for production.
Your average person buying a bag of apples or almonds has no idea. The public needs to know! The public needs to know the seriousness of this threat to North American food sources. It needs to be made plain. If this invasive species is not eradicated from North America beekeeping in North America will cease! The food sources in North America will be greatly affected!
I am going to be writing my political representatives to address this serious invasion that needs to be eradicated. Not just brought under control, eradicated. Period.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,541 Posts
I am going to be writing my political representatives to address this serious invasion that needs to be eradicated. Not just brought under control, eradicated. Period.
I believe Washington state (the only place they have been found in the US) is trying to eradicate it, not just bring it under control The found and destroyed one nest last year. and I think they plan on destroying any that they can find. I believe Canada is also trying to eradicate it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Fortunately, they are easy to spot in flight. Old-time beekeepers have found bee trees by a method called "Bee Lining" for many years. Once the hive is found, it is rather easily destroyed.
The problem is that the Asian Hornets can sting right through a normal bee suit. Special, thick suits with a wide veil / hat are being used to eradicate the Asian Hornet. 2 sweat suits under a bee suit is not enough, and the stings hurt like crazy.
I'm looking into making an under garment that goes beneath the ordinary bee suit to fend off the Asian Hornet, but I don't have any hornets to test them on locally. Leather jackets and nylon snake chaps may help, but full coverage is needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts