Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always amazed. 1.5 million plus hives into almonds. Many with out of state, absentee owners shipping the hives to brokers to distribute, collect and return. Many looking much alike. The logistics of getting those hives back to their rightful owners looks daunting. How often does one get someone else's hives back? How often does one get the right number of hives back but a mix of their own and others?
Keeping it in perfect order seems impossible....to my inexperienced eye.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
I agree. If there was ever an industry that could benefit from electronic tags, it would be the yearly dance in the almond orchards.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I've had a few MIAs over the years. They always turned up eventually. Once 12 hives were left in an almond orchard for almost a year. Most were still alive , but not in very good condition.We keep better track of them now.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a few MIAs over the years. They always turned up eventually. Once 12 hives were left in an almond orchard for almost a year.
I'm assuming that you deliver and collect most of your own Mike. Am I wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
We've been sending our bees out for about 10 years now and have worked with 2 different brokers. Always gotten our own hives home. One time we almost got someone else's rotten holey net put on one of our loads coming back but the wrangler noticed and took the time to change it out.

It amazes me as well that they can keep everything straight, including the monetary end of things. IMO, the broker's cut is well earned, I wouldn't want that job.
Sheri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts