Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a removal yesterday and got stung multiple times through my bee suit on my arms and back. This normally doesn't happen and, for the life of me, I can't figure out what went wrong. Any ideas? I was only wearing a tee shirt underneath.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did a removal yesterday and got stung multiple times through my bee suit on my arms and back. This normally doesn't happen and, for the life of me, I can't figure out what went wrong. Any ideas? I was only wearing a tee shirt underneath.
What kind of suit? Were you positioned in such a way that your suit was pulled tight around where you got stung? (i.e. bending over, reaching, etc. etc.)

Or, maybe you're like me and too much good holiday eating has affected the fit of your suit! :D

·
Registered
887 Posts
I get stung occasionally through my suit. Most of the time its when one gets in a fold or if the suit gets pulled really tight to my skin. Heck I have even been stung through leather gloves!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Cut outs are the most physically taxing thing one does while wearing a bee suit. We all know that and tend to use lightweight suits when doing a cutout, so we do not get overheated. There in lies the problem. When a lightweight suit gets sweaty it clings enabling the angry bees who's home is being pillaged to get a stinger through. It's a rough life this Beekeeping thing, But someone has to do it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seems like I get stung thru my suit when I'm raising my arms and the bee or bees get underneath my arm and they nail me when I put my arm back down to my side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got stung in the chin the other day with my suit on. I must have had my head just right to be rubbing my chin against the veil.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Cut outs are the most physically taxing thing one does while wearing a bee suit. We all know that and tend to use lightweight suits when doing a cutout, so we do not get overheated. There in lies the problem. When a lightweight suit gets sweaty it clings enabling the angry bees who's home is being pillaged to get a stinger through. It's a rough life this Beekeeping thing, But someone has to do it!
Well said!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,016 Posts
>We all know that and tend to use lightweight suits when doing a cutout

I'd say my ventilated suites are much heavier, but much cooler and they are what I always wear for a cutout. You can't stop and take a break very well during a cutout so you need to be able to not faint from heat stroke. Ultra-Breeze is hard to beat.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
>

I'd say my ventilated suites are much heavier, but much cooler and they are what I always wear for a cutout. You can't stop and take a break very well during a cutout so you need to be able to not faint from heat stroke. Ultra-Breeze is hard to beat.
I agree totally and would not be without mine either. but have been guilty of the earlier on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What kind of suit? Were you positioned in such a way that your suit was pulled tight around where you got stung? (i.e. bending over, reaching, etc. etc.)

Or, maybe you're like me and too much good holiday eating has affected the fit of your suit! :D
This community rocks and, thanks one and all for your replies. In rethinking this I think what resulted in so many stings on this particular cutout was the fact that I was lying on my back, underneath a trailer, and my suit was lying flat on my arms, legs, and chest. These particular CA feral bees were also highly agitated. I actually got nailed twice as soon as I got out of my truck and before I even had time to suit up. I also like the suggestion of an Ultra-Breeze bee suit. In addition to the extra protection, it would probably keep me cooler on those 100 + days in Southern California.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would like to add one more plug for the Untra Breeze suit if I could. Last summer I got stung over 75 times through my cotton/polyester suit. It was 90+ degrees with the humidity about the same and my "off the cheap rack" suit was soaked with sweat after about 10 minutes, which I later found out really torques them off when they get a taste of it. A week later my Ultra Breeze suit came in the mail and I haven't been stung since. Definitely a win-win as there are also no more dead bees from stinging me!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to add one more plug for the Untra Breeze suit if I could. Last summer I got stung over 75 times through my cotton/polyester suit. It was 90+ degrees with the humidity about the same and my "off the cheap rack" suit was soaked with sweat after about 10 minutes, which I later found out really torques them off when they get a taste of it. A week later my Ultra Breeze suit came in the mail and I haven't been stung since. Definitely a win-win as there are also no more dead bees from stinging me!!
I'm convinced! Every review on Amazon.com for the Ultra-Breeze suit has been 5 stars. Come this swarming season in couple of months and having completely soaked through my bee suit several times doing removals this past summer, I'll probably pick one up.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Wow! The ultra breeze suit really gets great reviews on Amazon. With those reviews and the endorsements on here I may have to get one. In July there was a few days where one thing led to another and I started getting thirsty and by the time I got to water I was dangerously overheated. These suits are pricey but if one will keep me from falling over from the heat with a headache it will pay for itself. I usually just like to where a jacket with a veil but when I had a defensive hive I put on the full suit. I usually get stung kneeling down or bees getting between the gloves and the jacket occasionally up through the pants but that can all be remedied by velcroing things tight which I get complacent about because usually the bees don't attack. When they do I tend to put them back and get away. For a cutout that's not necessarily an option so it sounds like this suit is the way to go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wear a baseball cap inside my hood to keep the bees off my face while looking up at a cutout.
I don't wear leather gloves because the bees will sting the glove and that attracts other bees. I use the thick Polyester gloves from a garden store. The bees won't sting them.
I work in African country and some times the bees get really nasty so I carry a spray bottle of soapy water. I squirt the soap straignt up in the air as a mist and let it settle on my hood and back. Then I spray my jeans and ankles. It won't keep every bee off of you but it sure helps.
I also wash my suit frequently and I let it soak in the soapy water, then hang it up to drip dry without rinsing it. That keeps the bees off quite well.
Regards
Joe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts