Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting swarm traps ready for this spring. I have 8 ready so far thinking about making more.
I am putting 3 or 4 way back in the mountains where there are no houses for miles. If I catch any there I can know they are not from a bee yard.
My wife just shakes her head and says I am like a kid at Christmas.:giggle:

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Devil's advocate.... someone may have hives set up not at a house.

Hope you catch a bunch and have all the new equipment to get them all snug in for a great year of beekeeping

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Devil's advocate.... someone may have hives set up not at a house.

Hope you catch a bunch and have all the new equipment to get them all snug in for a great year of beekeeping
LoL. You haven't seen the place I am talking about. It is remote, so remote that a man broke down a couple of years ago and froze to death trying to walk out so I am pretty sure no one has hives there. :):)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It is remote, so remote that a man broke down a couple of years ago and froze to death trying to walk out so I am pretty sure no one has hives there. :):)
Might be your sign to have a back up emergency ATV out there:eek:

Reactions: massbee

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
fadder great way to get bees.

bees need a supply of flowers/pollen from early season (red maple, willow) to late season (golden rod , aster) look for a place that has a varied plant representation.
Even better obtain some raw honey, and go to these places you are thinking about, and put a spoon full out on a stump d in full sun, in a small opening.
Hang out for 2-5 hours, get some fire wood or something. Another good place to check is in a sugar maple grove, look for a limb that was busted by snow load or place a tap in a tree. in a day or 2 if there are bees there you should see some. Unless you have seems bees there.

Early spring there is very little nectar and the bees will better find some snacks if you either place one or find one.

Point of the story is there needs to be bees there to catch a swarm,, If the place is "vast" then there may be a pockets with bees and some places with no bees. Placement in a know bee area will be better than in a non bee area.

also do not rule out your buddies or family farm, bees need some meadow space, 100% wooded is less optimal.

good luck and let us know how you make out.

GG

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fadder great way to get bees.

bees need a supply of flowers/pollen from early season (red maple, willow) to late season (golden rod , aster) look for a place that has a varied plant representation.
Even better obtain some raw honey, and go to these places you are thinking about, and put a spoon full out on a stump d in full sun, in a small opening.
Hang out for 2-5 hours, get some fire wood or something. Another good place to check is in a sugar maple grove, look for a limb that was busted by snow load or place a tap in a tree. in a day or 2 if there are bees there you should see some. Unless you have seems bees there.

Early spring there is very little nectar and the bees will better find some snacks if you either place one or find one.

Point of the story is there needs to be bees there to catch a swarm,, If the place is "vast" then there may be a pockets with bees and some places with no bees. Placement in a know bee area will be better than in a non bee area.

also do not rule out your buddies or family farm, bees need some meadow space, 100% wooded is less optimal.

good luck and let us know how you make out.

GG
I always catch some around friends and neighbors houses. I caught 2 swarms last year where I
am talking about in the mountains. I will take any swarm but I am really interested in the bees miles from
anyone. I know in a little bit they will breed with the bees I have already but I am interested in mixing the genetics.
Right now I have feral bees from the mountains, Russians, carnies, Italians. On the Italians I have two with bee weaver queens from Texas and have 2 VSH queens ordered for this year. After a little I know I will have mutts, hopefully they
will be mutts with good genetics though.:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am in the process of getting swarm traps ready for this spring. I have 8 ready so far thinking about making more.
I am putting 3 or 4 way back in the mountains where there are no houses for miles. If I catch any there I can know they are not from a bee yard.
My wife just shakes her head and says I am like a kid at Christmas.:giggle:
I am curious as to how many truly wild swarms there still are. I look forward to hearing about how your swarm catching turns out this coming season. Also without giving too many details which might give up your secret locations it would be interesting to know the general successful areas. Example: hilltop, valley, steep slopes, favored trees etc. My own swarms used to go to a neighbor's apple tree for a few years then our large Leyland Cypress turned into a swarm magnet for a while. Last year the swarms landed in totally random places.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am curious as to how many truly wild swarms there still are. I look forward to hearing about how your swarm catching turns out this coming season. Also without giving too many details which might give up your secret locations it would be interesting to know the general successful areas. Example: hilltop, valley, steep slopes, favored trees etc. My own swarms used to go to a neighbor's apple tree for a few years then our large Leyland Cypress turned into a swarm magnet for a while. Last year the swarms landed in totally random places.
I really have no secret locations. I have caught them at varied locations. I caught 15 swarms last year 5 of which came from
a weeping cherry in my Mother's yard. I caught two in the mountains that I was talking about and didn't really notice what kind of tree they were on. I caught one in the family cemetery on a huge wild cherry tree. I caught one that was on the ground. I even caught one late in the year out of a water meter.( posted video of it.) If I had to pin it down I could really tell no difference but I would prefer fruit trees. I can't prove it makes a difference but I like to have my swarm traps up while they are blooming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts