Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a queen so that I could start a nuc. I have only one hive now, which is nice and healthy (5 frames of brood, eggs and pollen, 3 of honey and two empty)

How much will it set them back if I take two frames of brood from this hive to start my nuc?

Do I replace those frames with two empty ones placed at the outer edges of the brood box?

Thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I assume from your post that your hive is in one deep brood box. If that's the case, I'd give them another deep brood box to draw out the wax. I'm betting that in NJ, the bees need more than just one deep, to survive the winter (unless you're planning on leaving them with a few honey supers on during the winter). Before you worry about making nuc splits, I'd check with some knowledgeable local beekeepers to see how much winter food stores are needed to survive the NJ winter.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
It depends on what your long term plans are. Having a nuc for "spare parts" is nice, but you may not get them built up enough for the winter, but you can always combine them in the fall and split them again n the spring.

Then again, sometimes they take off and do better than you expected.

Obvously it sets them back to take two frames of brood, but it would give the nuc a decent start. I'd give the nuc at least one frame of honey/pollen with two being better and at least a frame of capped brood and one of open brood.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they're in a deep brood box with a second empty one on top of that.

What I wanted to do was build up a strong nuc. Once they were doing well, I'd put them in a empty hive which I already have.

No? Yes?

Thanks for your help.

I also ordered two 3# packages for other hives. I thought making a nuc of my own would also be interesting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts