Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in in Washington state, I have two medium 8 frame boxes with natural comb. my bottom box has about six full frames of honey with a little pollen mixed in and only two with brood. My top box is only built out to four frames (full of honey) with only little pieces of comb on the two outer frames on each side (which I just moved inward to hopefully encourage comb building).

Is it to late to add another box on top for them to build into for honey stores and have more room in the bottom box for brood before winter sets in? I would move two of the frames of honey from the brood box up to the top and put in empty frames for them to build out for the brood, and maybe two of the frames from the second box as well checkerboarding them.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I would strongly advise you move no frames this late. I would just as strongly advise you to put on lots of syrup and a pollen patty between the boxes you have on. Also on my gotta do list would be to check for varroa mites and treat if you find any and you will find them. I like Apiguard or Apivar. Keep the feed on them until they quit taking it. I would advise feeding syrup in zip lock baggies laid on the top bars. The cluster keeps them warmer than most feeders and when the syrup gets below fifties, the bees are not going to store it and you are behind the power curve. If the bees happen to get the second box full consider putting another box underneath the two full ones to provide a dead air space at the bottom and allow them to keep expanding if the weather gives time. Close up any screened bottom board until you have your feeding done to conserve heat. Reduce the entrance to an inch or less wide for the same reason and to help the bees defend against robbers. That is what to start with in my experience. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts