Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions tonight and this is the first.

My equipment has yet to arrive and so I have been improvising. I have used a kitchen knife from the cutting block to cut comb away from frames, etc.

How in the world do I get propolis off of the knife and off of my clothes? I've used rubbing alcohol and finally broke down and used acetone. I just knew acetone would cut that stuff off the knife in a hurry...WRONG!

I'm really popular with the wife right now.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Run and hide ......just run and hide!!!!!
Been there dont that .....heck im still doing it

to get the prop- of clothes -- well you cant but you can try freezing the cothes and try to brake the stuff off - or rub baby powder on them so that it takes the sticky out if it

sometimes i wash them but i think thats why im still running

as for the knifes -- go to walmart and by the cheapest set you can find and use them instead

it helps to have a comfy couch !!!!!!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Is the wife excited about the ruined kitchen knife or running around without clothes? Have you tried boiling water? I did not say dishwasher. That could complicate your trouble. Try the stain pre-soaks on your clothes or pure Wisk. You can take off paint with pure Wisk. Pine Sol might help.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
industrial strength de-greasers seem to work fairly well. They work better in combination with a stiff scrub brush. I've been using degreasers in the laundry for 20 years now, keeps the clothes cleaner and brighter.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've never been able to get it off completely. A little will go a long ways! I just suck it up and consider it a physical sign of experience!

BEAVER DAM - Hows come you can use the nice "emotions", or whatever they are called. The smilling faces who laugh and etc? All I every get to use is the plain Janes. Is it because I use quick reply or what?

·
Registered
501 Posts
After I'm done working, I get the smoker flaming and hold the hive tools in it. Then scrape off melted propolis in the grass. Works great & kills germs too. Or, sometimes I use SOS pads. Denatured alcohol works too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gas line antifreeze, which is just alcohol, seems to work pretty well. I don't know if it will get stains out, but it really helps get the sticky off tools and hands. Either isopropyl or methanol works, I usually use isopropyl. I am not sure which is better. Rubbing alcohol is similar, but it is diluted with water and the bottles are not as rugged as the gas line antifreeze bottles.

I look for the bottles that have a screw top and a foil inner seal. Then I punch a small hole in the foil with a stick pin. When I need to rinse tools or hands, I just squeeze the bottle and a thin stream sprays out. A little goes a long ways, one or two bottles lasts all summer.

Keep in mind that alcohol is pretty flammable, so be careful around lit smokers. That can be an advantage too though, I usually put a little shot in the smoker fuel before I light it, it really helps get the fire going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts