Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to get 2 nucs.
I would assume it’s too late in the season to be able for them to have enough time to get established in a 10 frame single.
I was thinking since it’s 2 nucs that I could put them in a double nuc box and overwinter them together like that then put them in a full box in the spring.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm south of you but still have winter. Your plan is fine. I winter successfully as single 5 frame nucs too.

Unless you are getting a huge deal why not wait until spring? Let someone else take the over winter risk instead of you.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have had good success overwintering nucs, in northeast OH. I used 3 stories, 4 frames each. Some were started with 3 frames as late as early Aug, though I could boost with frames from stronger hives. You can definitely get a 5 frame nuc to 10 frames - in a month - if you feed sugar syrup like you mean it. I feed 2:1, 2 gallons a week (1 gallon at a time). You can get 20 frames drawn out in 2 months - again, if you feed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm south of you but still have winter. Your plan is fine. I winter successfully as single 5 frame nucs too.

Unless you are getting a huge deal why not wait until spring? Let someone else take the over winter risk instead of you.
Great advice. I think that is what I will do.
Nucs are not usually available around here until mid June. So I was hoping to get a jump on next year.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
As the others have stated, I believe that you can get two nucs to 10 frame single deep status within the alotted time, provided you feed like crazy and don't forget the pollen patties. Down south here in Richmond, I just made a bunch of walk away splits. These will overwinter as 5 framers and some may make 10 frame hives before the queens shut down in late Oct.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You are fine-we still have like 2 months of summer here, they will certainly grow into 10 frames each by end of Sept (assuming queen is laying OK). To give you idea - I started new 2 frame split nuc (no queen) last year on June 29, the queen started laying July 21, by Sep 02 they were taking 10 frames (including stores), overwintered in 5 over 5 formation, with no insulation, it was bursting at seams this spring.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,739 Posts
I have the opportunity to get 2 nucs.
I would assume it’s too late in the season to be able for them to have enough time to get established in a 10 frame single.
I was thinking since it’s 2 nucs that I could put them in a double nuc box and overwinter them together like that then put them in a full box in the spring.
this is what I would do the double NUC box if you have it.
IMO depth helps to winter.

Do you have some comb and other hives?
If so then you can pull 1 frame of stores from a few hives and boost this up.
One could try it and then you would know.
I would wrap the double NUC and add A box on top (3rd)to put in sugar blocks and a folded blanket or towel.
I made 6 NUCs last AUG all made the winter, I did go in 2 or 3 times to add sugar.

If you are not funds challenged, and have some comb and stores to add I would go for it.

I happen to have some honey frames in the fridge from spring dead outs, so I would jump on the deal if the prices was right.

Attachments

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
658 Posts
3rd yr 6a- Echo what others have said regarding importance of configuration. I over wintered a mid August swarm in 1/2 of a resource hive (4 X 4, insulated, treat for zero mites and fed like crazy). Just be sure to drop at least 3 full frames each of honey overhead before winter.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
why would you buy nucs at a time of year its easy to make your own?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have to pay for them. Guess I didn’t really state that.
When is too late in the year to make a couple nucs?
I would Probley let them rear their own queen if I did.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I do have to pay for them. Guess I didn’t really state that.
When is too late in the year to make a couple nucs?
I would Probley let them rear their own queen if I did.
Ah, if they don't come with laying queens, then you are running short on time. It is still possible to grow them into 10 frames, but if not you can also overwinter them as nucs either side by side or one on top of the other depending what nuc boxes you have.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I bought the nucs , yes they would come with laying queens.
What I was wondering was if i split 1 nuc from my current hives and let them make their own queen would there be enough time left for them to do it and have her mated and laying in time. I would be overwintering them as a 4 frame nuc in my double nuc hive. 4 frames each side of the divider. Would be wintered 4 over 4.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
Brandon, I would think that in your locale, it is probably too late to do a walk away split. Here in Richmond, VA, August 1st is generally considered the latest that a walk away can be made and have a reasonable chance of building for winter. If you wish to make another split, please consider using a purchased mated queen. If you do try, and there is no harm in doing so, plan on overwintering them on top of an established colony with a double screen board.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking it was a tad bit late to start splitting without queens. Just trying to put the odds in my favour to have as many bees as I can in the spring. I was planning on purchasing 4 or 5 more nucs next year , but they usually aren’t ready till early or mid June. So by the time they are established the flow is half over.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Here in Richmond, VA, August 1st is generally considered the latest that a walk away can be made and have a reasonable chance of building for winter
For me I need a laying queen 1st week of aug for 2 frames of brood, frame of food and 2 drawn

·
Registered
260 Posts
What I was wondering was if i split 1 nuc from my current hives and let them make their own queen would there be enough time left for them to do it and have her mated and laying in time. I would be overwintering them as a 4 frame nuc in my double nuc hive. 4 frames each side of the divider. Would be wintered 4 over 4.
OK, going by last year's dates- goldenrod flow was way into the second half of Sep, so theoretically you can still get your queens mated and laying, if you can add frames of brood from the strong hive(s) as needed, then you have a good chance. I know people here that overwinter 3 frame nucs side by side by side, so it may work for you. In the worst case you can re-combine. If I was in your place I would still go for it, if anything just for gaining knowledge and experience. Generally small colonies overwinter easier than big ones, they just take longer to build up in spring.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,739 Posts
Depends.....
how strong you can make them to start.
if the frames you have are loaded with stores or foundation.

you stated you are making 4 over 4
IMO with a purchased Queen, and 4 frames of bees, 2 brood and 2 stores you could make it.
Raise your own queen , maybe up that to 6 frames of bees 3 brood and 3 stores.

will not know until you try, keep records so if you make it or do not next year you have a better feeling for the cutoff.
If I were you I would consider ordering queens, and going for it, 30 bucks, buying a NUC next year is 120-150 so perhaps worth it.

GG

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Siamese 4 frame nucs should be able to grow to two or possibly three boxes high if you make pollen patties and sugar syrup available. A bit of insulation may help them from chilling out as the nights cool off. I started a pair of them end of June a few years ago and had them up to three boxes high and top box solid capped stores. Your season will be two or three weeks longer than mine. The 4 frame side by sides is much more efficient way to get comb built and colony up to wintering weight than a 10 frame deep.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brandon, I would think that in your locale, it is probably too late to do a walk away split. Here in Richmond, VA, August 1st is generally considered the latest that a walk away can be made and have a reasonable chance of building for winter. If you wish to make another split, please consider using a purchased mated queen. If you do try, and there is no harm in doing so, plan on overwintering them on top of an established colony with a double screen board.
If you make a walkaway split Aug1 in your locale, what do you overwinter them in? 4 over 4 nuc, or a single deep? When would be the last time you would be able to get two deeps built up for winter?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts