Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NUC, not much. Sorry all on phone so it won't let me edit the title.... nice way to start a post Tigger 😒
Well the day is finally here. After joining in 2015, studying, hives all set and a prayer my dreams have come true.
Sunday will be warm but I think a bit cloudy. Over wintered Queen and 5 frames.
I drive an all Electric car so my drive will be quiet for the bees and only about 40 min drive at 10:00 am. Netting, bee suit, strap and cushions to make sure it won't slide around in the back. I have to work at 4:00pm that day. So depending on what time I get back will decide if I just leave the nuc next to the new hive till Monday afternoon or move over frames that day.
I have an bucket feeder I will put in a medium super over the new hive to help them out. Good Sunny spot and close enough to watch from either inside or on the deck.
So excited and thank you all for all the info you out on here ❤
I'll post picks later. Oh and they are suppose to be a Buckfast bee mix.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,196 Posts
NUC, not much. Sorry all on phone so it won't let me edit the title.... nice way to start a post Tigger ��
Well the day is finally here. After joining in 2015, studying, hives all set and a prayer my dreams have come true.
Sunday will be warm but I think a bit cloudy. Over wintered Queen and 5 frames.
I drive an all Electric car so my drive will be quiet for the bees and only about 40 min drive at 10:00 am. Netting, bee suit, strap and cushions to make sure it won't slide around in the back. I have to work at 4:00pm that day. So depending on what time I get back will decide if I just leave the nuc next to the new hive till Monday afternoon or move over frames that day.
I have an bucket feeder I will put in a medium super over the new hive to help them out. Good Sunny spot and close enough to watch from either inside or on the deck.
So excited and thank you all for all the info you out on here ❤
I'll post picks later. Oh and they are suppose to be a Buckfast bee mix.
Linda, Sounds like fun, good luck with the new NUC

BYW if the hive is ready, takes 15 min to move it over, :)

fun day ahead for you.
GG

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like you are really set up for success! The advice I was given for installing, and it seemed to work, was set the NUC boxes on top of the hives that they will go in. Open the NUCs and let them fly. They will most likely explode out the front when you open it, it is quite a sight! Just let them be that way for a day then install into the hive. Seems to give them a nice transition and they are a lot calmer when you install as they have had a change to settle down after transport/relocation.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that is what I was planning. My temp job during the day is so quiet and boring that I have been reading over all sorts of info on here again. Too bad it's on the phone a a lot slower.
Weather up here is all over the place. And next week will be in the 50's and on/off rain, Le Sigh.
I will have to see weather on Sunday forecast for Monday.

Sounds like you are really set up for success! The advice I was given for installing, and it seemed to work, was set the NUC boxes on top of the hives that they will go in. Open the NUCs and let them fly. They will most likely explode out the front when you open it, it is quite a sight! Just let them be that way for a day then install into the hive. Seems to give them a nice transition and they are a lot calmer when you install as they have had a change to settle down after transport/relocation.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 question I just thought of.
I will have a reducer on the entrance, deep box, medium box with feeder inside and top.
No inside cover with top entrance, correct ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm not far from you, I think getting your NUC on Sunday and installing a day or two later looks like it might be perfect this coming week.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Congrats Linda. Its so exciting getting your first bees. Don't add a top entrance while you are feeding and wait until the colony is much stronger and is in 2 boxes. I probably would not use a top entrance at all during the first year. J

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
😊. Picked them up at about 9 this morning. I installed them when I got home because the nuc has no entrance, just a screened transport box.
Guy in Nashua was super nice.
They are Buckfast mix and are SUPER Gentle !! Gave some smoke, moved the 5 frames over slowly, put 5 empty foundationless frames. Put on a medium super for the syrup. Closed them up, not a mean bee anywhere and not one sting. I wasn't even nervous so that maybe why.
About 2 hours later I put syrup (about 10 cups worth in 3 small containers inside) in the medium with 3 frames to take up the open space hoping they would be on those and not comb from the roof. 😒 They were already starting comb on a deep empty frame before I have closed it up when first installing them. Good girls !

Then sat on deck doing little things and watching the bees. Saw 2 bees come in with orange pollen. And a couple more yellow. Only 1bee on my yard dandilions lol.

They don't care that I was walking around them with no suit or veil on.
They found the 2 front yard hives that have old comb and a tiny bit of honey. So maybe I'd the time comes for them to swarm they will remember.

I'm so excited ! You wouldn't even know they were here.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,517 Posts
Looking good Linda.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I played with them again today, sunny day 4pm. I know I know stop that, but They are still so sweet to me.
I wanted to take out one of the Foundationless frames and put in one of the old comb frame so they could have laying area faster. They were already starting 2 of the 3 FL frames, nice and straight.
Plus I wanted to check for the Queen. Good news I found her, bad is she was not marked like was told. Also 2 of the 5 frames were Med and not Deep so I am a bit po'd about that. Except they already built down comb to fill that section in. Just nervous that it will attach to the bottom.

I didn't see eggs as it was starting to shade over me from my shed but there is plenty of capped brood (solidly filled all over frame) 2 frames. They are bringing in a good amount of pollen I watched. I mainly just wanted to check for the queen and of course she was on the last frame. So I put the old comb frame next to that one for her to lay in, I think. At that point I wanted to get it closed before I tested my luck.

Still no stinging and didn't care that I was there really. Added more Syrup into the 3 holders & another small holder for it. So it fills 4 holders across 6 frames. They emptied the other 3 in one day so 4 will help. It holds now 3- 2L bottle of syrup (6L) way easier to fill that way and I had the bottles empty anyway.

Also heard all sorts of sounds from them, one very cute sound but can't describe it, not a regular buzz more like an exclamation ;)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'm so excited ! You wouldn't even know they were here.
Linda:

Your thread brought a smile to my face- I am sincerely happy that you are now officially in the beekeeping business, and it sounds like this is the culmination of a lot of research on your part before diving in- good for you!

I hope your colony exceeds your expectations and we'll be reading about your apiary expansion plans next :D.

Congratulations-

Russ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts