Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
If I wanted to go that route, I could get cells and put those into my nucs. I've done that with great success. At the same time....I lose weeks in the middle of our spring flow.
and i understand you are not looking to change your approach dan but rather offering some food for thought, good thread.

as i understand it your goal is to turn this year's split into this year's productive honey producer. yes, bringing in queens ready to rock and roll produced to the south of you makes good sense.

as an alternative strategy, and if you have the time on your hands, you can make up for lost production by getting really good at swarm prevention, thereby the increasing lbs./hive that is achieved by not splitting.

you can make your increase after the main flow and let the splits be in the que for next year's production. you can graft your own selecting from your best producers, using an incubator, and introducing the virgins.

you may have to feed the late splits, but you'll save on having to purchase queens, and you'll have a little more control over the quality of the queens. heck, you might as well throw selecting for low mite counts in the mix as well, i.e. queen mother = high production & low mite count.

again, i know you are not looking for advice dan, and when i say 'you' above it doesn't mean you, but rather the collective 'you' of the readership in case someone wants to consider these ideas.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
lauri spent a fair amount of time discussing this a while back.
Whatever became of her?
She was surely a prolific experimenter.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
With virgin queens, I remember reading that Lauri liked to include the cell the queen emerged from. The queen cell has a smell that makes the bees expect to find a virgin queen in their midsts. Same reason one gets better acceptance with a ripe cell vs an already emerged queen.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Whatever became of her?
She was surely a prolific experimenter.
She posts on the commercial FB page from time to time and it appears she is doing quite well.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
She posts on the commercial FB page from time to time and it appears she is doing quite well.
Good!
I spent a little time on the commercial facebook page but there was one fellow who seemed to dominate the thing....and he was annoying to the point that I moved on.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Good!
I spent a little time on the commercial facebook page but there was one fellow who seemed to dominate the thing....and he was annoying to the point that I moved on.
I don’t blame you, that can be a hard hat zone over there.

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
also glad to hear lauri is doing well.

i neither have nor want a fb identity.

hard hat zone. good one jim.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts