Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a bit of experience keeping and removing bees in the past and I am thinking about starting a bee removal service with a friend. I am posting here hoping to get some information about the logistics of doing so. I am located in Southern California. Here are some of the questions I have:
Do I need a permit to remove bees?
What kind of liabilities do I need to consider? Such as if someone gets stung.
Is the release of honeybees legal if I do so away from residential areas?
If I give a captured colony to someone who wants to keep them, am I liable if they do not follow legal regulations?

Any information you can give me regarding these questions, or anything else, would be greatly appreciated. I will of course be conducting my own research as well, though I have been having some trouble finding info on these specific questions. I am a hobbyist who has the ultimate goal of doing what is best to keep the bees and involved individuals safe and healthy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would recommend getting a copy of 'Honey Bee Removal: A Step-By-Step Guide" by Bill Owens and Cindy Bee. The book may help you find answers to your questions.

As an aside, Bill and Cindy used to be partners in Georgia Bee Removal. Cindy has now moved to West Virginia and Bill is my fire chief.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In some states you have to have a pest control licenses to remove bees if you charge for it. So check with your agriculture department to make sure about your state.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts