Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for the answer but can't really find it. I have two hives that I have started from nuc's last year. They are looking good and am hoping to expand next year. My question is can I split my hives and still get some honey out of my original hives and when is the earliest I should make up nuc's? I'm located in West Virginia... Thanks for the help in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Let's see if i can help you out a bit here.
"My question is can I split my hives and still get some honey out of my original hives and when is the earliest I should make up NUC's?"

The answer to the first part is yes and depending upon how strong you make your NUC's as to how much honey.
The answer to the second part is, You want to do a split AFTER your hives have plenty of brood and bees both in the spring. Mind you that if you are doing a split in the spring, you will probably end up with a full production hive by fall. Also your amount of brood and bees being removed to make the split will depend upon if you are planning to put in a Mated Queen, or allow your bees to make their own queen for the splits.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I'm sure no expert so....

Most of my "production" hives swarmed this past spring. Yours may likely do that next spring. This coming spring, I plan to remove my old queens in late March and place them in nucs. I hope that will keep my hives from swarming. That sounds sort of like what you want to do. I have made several splits this year and feel very comfortable with that now, but I have yet to do what I plan on doing next spring. From what I've read, it should work, as long as there are drones for a virgin to mate with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts