Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just checked some of my smaller hives and found that they are light on stores. I've decided that I must feed them to bring them up to winter weight. Will the bees store sugar if I just drop a frame feeder full of dry sugar into the hive? Or do I have to mix up some syrup to get them to store it in the hive?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,164 Posts
>I've just checked some of my smaller hives and found that they are light on stores.

It's pretty early. The fall flow is probably coming...

>Will the bees store sugar if I just drop a frame feeder full of dry sugar into the hive?

No, they do not store dry sugar to any significant degree.

> Or do I have to mix up some syrup to get them to store it in the hive?

If you want it stores in combs, yes.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Ask around in your area. It generally starts earlier further north and progresses south. Ours is just getting going - or at least it would if the rain would hold off a bit.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,164 Posts
>So, I'm jumping the gun? I really don't want to feed. When should the fall flow start?

In MS I have no idea. As Adam says, ask around. I'm sure you can start feeding later there than here and I wouldn't be feeding for winter weight yet here if they were light.

·
Registered
USDA Hardiness Zone 8a
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, good advice. Thanks Adam and Michael. We have a beekeepers association meeting this coming thursday. I'll hold off on feeding till I can talk to some local beeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts