do you have kids that have NEVER been stung by anything? i believe most dont plan to get stung. do you have fears of "killer" bee atacks? seems like much ado about very little. good luck,mikeDoes anyone get their family members (particularly kids) tested for allergies before keeping bees?
When I first started keeping the president of our club was a Dr. and he always told us that the next sting could be the one that we would be alergic to.One would think that if the more the issues like stings are around you, the more you'd become tolerant of them
I am going through desensitization for what is called a large local reaction- basically this type of reaction was a huge inconveinance, but not lethal, although it could have become so. I got tested and reacted immediately to honeybees, but not to any other stinging insect. Go figure. I have a day job, and I could not keep getting stung on the finger or hand and not be able to use it for 3 days or have to take steroids. The fist 3 months are a lot of visits, after that 1 time per month for 2 years. I have NO regrets. I am much more relaxed around the bees now. There is a co pay, but to me, it has been worth the cost.My allergist told me it is a very involved test in which you start with a small injection and work your way up to a full blown simulated stinging incident. The allergen is a special order item and it is somewhat expensive.
Wouldn't exposure to residual venom on clothes also have a desensitizing effect?I have research to support desensitization for non lethal allergies. I also have research that supports less than 1 % of population is actually allergic, but Mike has a point, that in beekeeper families, where the family is exposed to venom or dust on your clothes, that can increase. I encourage my husband to help me sometimes and get stung a few times a season at least and he is fine with that. I get stung all the time now as well, and with very little problem.
From what I have read, it is the opposite that happens, and they risk developing the anaphylactic reaction. I would think though, that this would require a lot of exposure, but I really do not know.Wouldn't exposure to residual venom on clothes also have a desensitizing effect?