Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I'm wondering if people have any tricks for getting the dead bees out of the cells from deadout hives.

Here's what we've done in the past:

- Used a garden hose nozzle to wash the deads out of the cells. This works pretty good, but if the comb is new, a lot of comb is damaged by the water pressure.
- Put the frames with the dead bees into strong hives to clean them. This is ok, and works most of the time. Last year, for some reason, the bees could not removed the deads from the cells. Somehow, their heads stuck to the inside, and the bees started chewing down the cells around the dead bees to get them out.

The question is more or less for bigger producers who have 10 + deadout hives. For the smaller producers who have only one or two, it's easy enough to pick them out individually with tweezers if one wishes.

Thanks,
Jh

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Just let the bees pull them out. That way no comb damage.
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD... Bring out your dead..... Ol Monty Python had it right a long time back. Vance: Best simple answer posted all month! :applause:

Picking them out with a tweezers. Some people need a real job.:lpf:

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Can you get the use of an air compressor and a blower tube, a small nozzle? Shot a high pressure small stream of air at the combs and bees will fly out of the cells. It won't damage the comb.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree with brooksbeefarm. Tap the frames on something and those that do not fall out will be removed by the new bees.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Agree with Vance and Roland. A swipe with your bee brush then let the bees do the rest. If you are feeling lazy, no harm in doing nothing but letting the bees do it all.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I used my uncapping scraper carefully over the bees that stuck out past the comb and then left the rest for the bees to remove. As far as using a tweezers, that's ridiculous.....me, I was using a bent paper clip... really!!! Until I realized that was nuts!!! I was getting quite a few laughs from it. juzzer

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Would a vacuum cleaner work? I have blown uncapped live drone brood out with both water and air; either works but you do have to be careful or the stream will damage the comb.

Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts