Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello beekeepers,
I August is coming, in this month the colonies must be prepared to face winter, a lot of work is to be done.
For example, resumption of spawning by simulating honey flow, bringing together bees population and estimating reserves in order to know the amount of syrup to give.
Not only the hives must prepared, but also the work of all the last months must be completed by cleaning and storing beehive frames, skimming and seeding summer honey.
Also, anti-varroa treatment must be done and this to keep the colonies healthy and ensure that the population does not decline because of this parasite.
This was the summary of my full article on the works to do in August, I would like you to share your ideas too so that everyone benefits.

IMG20190330134342.jpg

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,307 Posts
No, it is translation error. Note that cheomar23 is from Algeria.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ah, that makes sense. Wonder how the winter is there?
I'll be seeding my honey come November. Sweet clover, wild mustard, milkweed 😀

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Cheomar, don't worry about the language. Lots of people here from many countries.

What type of winter do you experience? If I had to guess I'd imagine your winter is your rainy season. Do your bees brood all year or is there a season with no brooding?

Do your bees show much natural resistance to varroa? If left alone I suspect most of my bees would be dead in 2 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you AR1, our winter is from November to February it's rainy and sometime snowy. I've never seen brood in winter. The bees I have are Apis mellifera intermissa they don't resist varroa, but I don't have it in my apiary.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
welcome, Cheomar.
Snow in Algeria... now that surprises me. But there are the Atlas mountains. Is that where you're located?
Yes indeed, I agree with you. It is time to prepare for winter.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I lived in Morocco 1 year, and there was plenty of snow around if you were looking for it.

Soyez le bievenu Cheomar.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
524 Posts
Well hello cheomar23. Your words and message are sincere and we hear you. Yes, we’re nearing an important time in the apiary. You’re welcome to take the journey with us. For my part I’m deciding what if any honey to take off the hives for harvest. Then varroa treatment will begin in earnest. We will also have many discussions about winter prep. It will be interesting to have someone from Algeria. Thanks for posting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts