Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pick up another new hive today and found out they where German bees? The owner has been beekeeper for over 40 years and says he only does German bees and they were very docile. I purchased a two deep 10 frame hive and decided to give it a try. Has anybody had experience with these bees? I thought they were know as hot bees? My current 2 hives are carni's so will they be compatible? It looked like world war 3 in my backyard when I opened the hive. I had to drive the poor guys for 2 hours in the back of a friends truck from Rancho Cordova to Dublin.

Also how long do I wait before I can do a hive check?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
What color are they? I thought those are the black bees from Germany? If they they are the mixed colors then they are the mutts by now.
The only way to find out is to keep them for one season to see. Not sure if they are compatible with the carnis. Any mutts will be hot I think in the beginning until you can do some selections for the calmer bees.
They should settle down within 2 to 3 days after their orientation flight then you can do a hive check. By then you should know if they are hot or cool bees.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What color are they? I thought those are the black bees from Germany? If they they are the mixed colors then they are the mutts by now.
The only way to find out is to keep them for one season to see. Not sure if they are compatible with the carnis. Any mutts will be hot I think in the beginning until you can do some selections for the calmer bees.
They should settle down within 2 to 3 days after their orientation flight then you can do a hive check. By then you should know if they are hot or cool bees.
That's what I thought too I watched the documentary Orher than honey and his German bees where black... These are stripped but much bigger than my carni's..... They didn't attack when I uncovered the hive but they did come spilling out....

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you could share the company information for the beekeeper you got that hive from, that would be great. I wouldn't mind finding out more about his honey bees. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
If they are calm and not runny then those are good bees to keep.
I hope they are just rushing out and not be mean to the beekeeper.
I always think all bees will collect honey when there is a good flow going on. I have
never seen any specie of honey bee not greedy for honey or nectar. If you have the time
do give us some pics of what they look like.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Striped and bigger then Carniolan? Likely Italian.. He was close, Just off by a large mountain range and Austria.

Unless brought in illegally "German" Apis Mellifera Mellifera bees are not available in the USA except as feral populations in certain areas.

Here is a little about them: http://www.sicamm.org/WhatApis.html

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they are calm and not runny then those are good bees to keep.
I hope they are just rushing out and not be mean to the beekeeper.
I always think all bees will collect honey when there is a good flow going on. I have
never seen any specie of honey bee not greedy for honey or nectar. If you have the time
do give us some pics of what they look like.
I guess I will find out the hard or easy way when I do the hive check tomorrow ... My carni's are moody as hell so I am used to difficult bees....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Striped and bigger then Carniolan? Likely Italian.. He was close, Just off by a large mountain range and Austria.

Unless brought in illegally "German" Apis Mellifera Mellifera bees are not available in the USA except as feral populations in certain areas.

Here is a little about them: http://www.sicamm.org/WhatApis.html
I know I thought German bees where black too... I think Dominic was right and they might be buck fast... I emailed the breeder this morning for clarification... He had heavy accent so it was difficult to decipher a lot other than German bees....

·
Registered
608 Posts
I didn't mean to imply that they were buckfast.

Honestly, I think that calling the bees "italians", "germans", or any other is kind of silly, really, given how many breeds were introduced, how queens are distributed across the continent, and how much they interbreed. Nothing's pure.

Your guy probably calls them german not because he has a pedigree to attest to their purity, but because they just fit what he considers to be german bee traits.

Unless, as someone else said, they were illegally imported.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
They are somewhat black alright. Guess only in you tube that we will see the Germany
black bees. Maybe somebody can import the semen from those bees as it is not illegal to
do so. Too bad I don't speak German.
You don't have to put up with edgy bees, you know. There are many calm carnis for you
to keep. Just need to find whoever have them. All you need is a right gentle queen for this
season.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have/had some like that. They are workable but definitely can get more aggressive than other bees I have had. I looked them up on Wikipedia and believe I they are similar in appearance to what is noted as a European dark bee.
Here's one. I lost a bunch of bees but last I looked some of these survived.
beeonwinepressseptember2013_zps11bb2bec.jpg

·
Registered
397 Posts
If they run like crazy and even tumble off the bottom of the combs, that would be a sign that they were at least part German. Really, hard to tell just by looking, but as others have same they are most likely mixed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I did the Hive check today and the bees were very docile and easy to work with...I used smoke and they didn't seem to care I was there and I opened up the whole hive... I am pretty happy so far because they so far seem more calm than my carni's...

·
Registered
38 Posts
German bees are a strain of black bees used in the skep beekeeping for heather honey. they still do. Swarmy. Nice move on Youtube. Close related to the black/dark bee some try to save here in Sweden ( and Carl von Linne namned Apis Mellifiera mellifiera)
Carnica and growing amount of Buckfast is today the most common in Germany.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have two hives, one is nearly black and it is my calmest hive i dont need any gear to to in that one, my other are bright yellow with thin black stripes and they are far more aggesive cant lift the lid at all without getting attacked by 10 or so. both are from a local beekeeper who just keeps doing splits so no known genetics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts