Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a package coming from Georgia in the next few days and it looks like my new harem is gonna have a few days to get things sorted out while the 50's daytime and 20-30's night temp plus some rain/snow mixed in will keep them tight in the hive preparing things. I've got some older drawn comb for them to clean up and get in order for her Highness the Italian Queen of the North. Gonna give them all the syrup they want and was thinking of some powdered sugar as well what do youse guys think. Have deep for the brood area, with 1' restricting entrance, and an empty deep box to put my mason jars of syrup feed etc. in. Gonna lightly stuff some newspaper to take up some room plus it might insulate the lower some. Then an inner cover with a piece of 1/2 foam underneath the telescoping cover. Looks like about a week of this chilly weather ahead. My group should be ready to get out and really kick some gathering axx by then. Any other ideas? Fog

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Sounds like a great plan except the dry sugar. If a little is good, twice as much is not twice as good! They will get carbs or energy from the syrup. They will need water with dry sugar and are probably smart enough not to take it except out of the hive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay Mr Beek, No powdered sugar! I should've known the weather has been so nice for the past month that when Georgia shipped May 5th, all hell would break loose weatherwise. If my group of circa 10,000 don't die, they'll be tougher for sure. Fog

·
Registered
723 Posts
THey aren't going to take the sugar unless the sugar water can stay over 50 degrees. Sounds like it won't there. With a new package, you do run the risk of starvation. I would consider the ziploc baggie method of feeding. It puts it right on top of the cluster and the natural heat from the cluster can keep the bag a good temp. I've used it when the temps weren't friendly for quart jars many times with great succes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the drill with the baggie thing? Fill a quart bag with syrup, seal it good and then lay it on top of the frames. How many and what kind of little "holes" do you put in the bag. About how long do they last (Best guess)? Maybe I'll do that in addition to my first plan. Fog

·
Registered
723 Posts
I take a gallon bag and fill it about 1/2 to 2/3 with sugar water. I close it after sealing out all the air. I lay it flat down on top of the frames and take my pocket knife and poke 6-10 holes in it 1/4 inch long. Make sure you don't poke all the way thru!! Here's a Youtube link to someone putting a baggie on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdr05UtUnes

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Friday and still no bees, 4" snow tonight and maybe 1" on Saturday warming up next Tuesday. The big warm baggie thing looks like the way to go and I think that will leave enough room for my warm Mason jar try also. Hope the girls are okay on the trip North. Fog

P.S. Good news, I called the apiary and they could hold up the shipping (I'm glad they're running behind for a change) so I don't have to fight the cold and snow after all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts