Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone do this? It is where you have a gps and people on this site place different things at a point and you go find it. My BIL and his son do it when he comes to town and I know many others that do it. Kinda cool, kinda ghey.

http://www.geocaching.com/

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have some buddies in a 4wd club that do this, they say its a lot of fun.:s

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I've never done this and don't have a GPS. On the website I put in my zip code and was amazed to the geocaches that are located near me. I think I found one and I haven't even looked for it yet. It's .6 miles away and the clues are a dead give away. I think I'll take my climbing spikes and relocate it.:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Why do you want to move it? They are to stay in the same spot they are found in so others can still find it. The cache locations are given by the owner of that particular cache and relocating it would cause it to be lost as the GPS coordinates would no longer point to it.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I was joking. The foot of snow we are supposed to get would have it covered anyways(maybe).:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Geocaches have been the source of the occasional bomb scare and complaints of middle age men hanging around playgrounds acting suspiciously.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Ok...so instead of clues to find something you use a GPS which gives you the exact location of the item. Wow...that's tough. I think I may just have to take this up...thinking of putting road kill in the boxes as I "uncover" them. :D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Beeslave: thanks for clearing that up. I have talked to people that do move them just to annoy the cache owner.

The GPS does not get to the exact location. Many times it is 5-25ft off from the location it actually is. This is do to many factors, but most caches can be found in less than 20 minutes looking for it.

Some are very easy to find, others are not. For instance, the large red coffee can sitting on a stump behind some bushes is easy to find. A hollowed out bolt with a nut and magnet placed on a bridge or other structure with visible nuts and bolts is a much harder thing to find. Also, some of these caches are smaller than the eraser on the end of a #2 pencil.

Yup, road kill with surely make the 3 year old that opens the box happy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've been caching for a few years. Its a great time with the kids. If I tell the kids we are going for a hike I'm lucky to get 200 yds out of them before they are tired and bored. If I tell them we are going "treasure hunting" or caching they will go all day!
Weve found some pretty cool things in some neat places.
The only thing to avoid with kids are minis and micros, the kids dont enjoy those nearly as much as a standard cache.
Beware the muggles!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts