Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been stung more in the past month tan I have in my entire life!
I understand that the alarm pheromone sticks around on clothes and such until washed (not the issue).
And one of the times I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time - I was watching the entrances for pollen coming in and a yellow jacket landed on the bottom board. The bees immediately attacked! I got one under my eye (I think the yellow jacket got away...the little *#%@)
Is the more aggressive behavior due to lack of nectar perhaps? I sure hope my otherwise friendly bees aren't becoming aggressive.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I am back to wearing gloves. Just pulling lids the other day to check hive strength, I got stung 3 times in 3 minutes on my hands. It is fall.

This time of year I just try to make sure the hive is heavy and they have a good population. No more going through each frame for me until spring now unless I see a problem. Strong hives that are possessive of their winter food are a good sign for me this time of year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Though I'm not very excited about suiting up on the hottest day of the year so far, I'm less excited about being stung! That's the price we pay I suppose! Thanks for your responses.
:cry: That's sweat not tears.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Classic dearth situation.

I don’t even open mine up until the goldenrod blooms. I’ve never had a problem watching the entrance during a dearth, but I have opened them up during one. :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Yea, that yellow jacket situation made me a little gun-shy about enjoying watching the entrances. It makes me dislike them even more! What are they doing going for honey anyway? I thought they liked roast beef sandwiches. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.