Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
You have seen my incident with the neighbors. I think I want to requeen my hives that started from swarms. Particularly one that I call hot. Please recommend breeders with

1) good gentle bees (I prefer Italian, but...)
2) good service
3) good producers of honey
4) my latitutude is Texas Panhandle (in line with Oklahoma, southern Missouri, etc.)

Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just swapped messages. She seems OK, but any incident is going to escalate this.

I was impressed. At about 6:00 p.m. tonight, Bill Baxter, TX A&M, Acting State Entomologist and Chief Foulbrood Inspector, Texas Apiary Inspection Service
Entomology Department, went to the trouble of finding my cell phone number and calling me. He advised the following:

1) Give her a jar of honey!!
2) ALWAYS requeen captured swarms

I've got to admit, the Pantex hive, that swarmed at my house, is "hot" I am going to atleast requeen it.

I thought you would like to see his recommendations. Want to come help me find and squish the old "queens". Last time didn't go to well. LOL. :)

I have ordered a Buckfast Queen from Weavers. The other hives I bought from them are All Americans (Italians). I want to try a few varieties and see how things go. But gentleness has to be important.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, much Hambone. I'll check that out. Big Red Raider fan here. I'll look on your profile and see where you are located. Look forward to talking bees with you.

Cool. Graham Harrell country! I loved him all along, but hope people now realize how special Graham was.

I live in Canyon, but am a Dalhart product.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad you added that second sentence, cause I have a Buckfast queen on the way. LOL.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The Harrell's are good people. I've known Graham since he was a little tike. Great kid. One of the smartest kids you would meet too.

Look in the meetings section and see if you might be able to make it to the Big Bee Buzz in Tulsa. I'll be there.

I wouldn't requeen every swarm. Only the hot ones. A couple of swarms I caught last year are great bees!! My All American's from Bweaver are the best though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Hambone. I've been wanting to catch some bee meeting or class in the Amarillo area. None are offered. I'm impressed with my Weaver "All American's", too. Last year was the first year and I got 42 pounds of great honey off those two hives in August.

Maybe we can meet at a football game. I have season tickets: 118, 34, 4 and 5. My cell phone number is 806-679-1905.

I'm a Range and Wildlife Grad, 1987. Spent 10 years with Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and am now the Wildlife Biologist for Pantex (past 10 years).

Guns UP!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I'm gonna take you up on those seats!! When I tell my boss I am taking off work and tell him what you do. He may want to come too. He raises White Tails.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep in mind that I have three boys and a Red Raider wife that may insist on that other seat. :)

But maybe. But regardless. Holler if you are there on game day, and we'll meet to visit.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
That was from 1974 to 2000. After the ones in 2001 I have not had any but reports from others would indicate this was not a isolated issue. Personally, if I were looking for gentle bees, I would not buy them from Texas...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm listening, Michael. I have two hives of Weaver All Americans. I would like to try others.

Please list me a source or two of your favorite gentle, productive bees. I prefer Italians, but don't limit to them. Jim

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I use Italian Cordovan's from Koehnen's and now Pendell's. Very productive, but calm and gentle -- I frequently carry a comb of brood with queen into our living room to show my paraplegic wife (she's not a beekeeper but is fascinated by the bees). They are so docile they don't even show that they realize they are moving, they continue about their business with rarely a bee even flying off the comb.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is cool. I saw some of that on the Koehnen's website. I have sent them a message and hope to get at least one queen.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Dang. Are you serious?
Your experience may differ, but I'm not interested in getting them again.

I once had a hive that got too hot, and when a neighbors dog came over, barked and scratched at the hive, they went crazy. It ends up the dog was allergic and had to be put down. It was really sad.

Ever since then I've 1) kept dogs away from my hives (both mine and the neighbors), and 2) don't mess around with 'aggressive' bees.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good advice in there. My lab stays back. He took a few stings once. He'll lay on the back porch and watch me work. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts