Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a varrox wand for treating with oxalic acid. I like it and it does well. The only problem is as my hive count increases, maintaining the battery becomes an issues.

I would like to know if anyone has used the varrox wand or something similar in conjunction with a generator? If so, what type of generator?

I was wondering if something similar to this
https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-Watt-Super-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-62523.html
would work with the 12 volt output connection.

I dont want to invest into something like the Provap 110 right now as it would be an additional cost on top of a generator anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work. The specs don't say how many amps the 12v outlet has. I don't. Actually know the current draw of a wand type vaporizer but I do know those heating elements do need some juice to run. Hence the battery dying relatively quickly.

You could also get more than one bettery. Check the junk yards and used car part places. You can often get nearly new batteries for $15-20.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
You could use the wand through one of the battery chargers that has a setting for start assist then work that through your generator or a long cord if you wish. Most wands draw between 13 to 15 amps off of the 12 volt battery and I doubt that the dc output of the generator is more than 10 amps.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
It seems multiple batteries are a good, inexpensive answer since you want to continue on with the Varrox.
Titus is correct, junk yards have very cheap batteries they pull from wrecks.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
It seems multiple batteries are a good, inexpensive answer since you want to continue on with the Varrox.
Titus is correct, junk yards have very cheap batteries they pull from wrecks.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
If you're DIY-inclined, then there are plenty of Youtube videos (some more informative than others) showing how to convert an old lawn-mower engine & an auto-alternator into a low voltage generator. Serious amperage at 12-14V is easily achieved with a 4.5HP Briggs & Stratton. Bit noisy - but cheap (if you already have the bits).
LJ

·
Registered
319 Posts
I use myATV’s battery as the electrical source. Fun to drive, and serves second function without lugging batteries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts