Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I haven't got bees yet but anticipating getting a few hives during the spring. I've listed my name and telephone number with several county agencies to remove swarms from the local area.

I have several old hives that were given to me and need to know what would be the best way to clean them up to ward of disease and pests. Any ideas or references to previous posts? :thumbsup:

During your active engagement with your hives. How often do you get stung? Everytime you're working with a hive or once in a week? Three times a month? Also, I haven't been stung in years. Do I need to be concerned with an allergic reaction? I've been stung many times in the past with no problems. I have heard that later in life people have become allergic to the sting. :s
Thanks
JBees
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,333 Posts
lots of people will tell you not to use the old equipment, some people love using used equipment. you can search on here for the reasons not to use it. i got stung around 15 times in one night last year moving hives, other than that i don't think i got stung at all last year. my kids stepped on a few in the yard. as to worrying about a reaction, make sure someone is with you not to far from town and get stung on purpose. justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
How to clean the old equipment?
Take it to the dump and buy new.

I get stung pretty much daily during the beekeeping season. I have about 100 colonies and I'm in a few at least every day unless it is winter or pouring rain.

Start fresh with new equipment. You'll be much happier for doing it.
-E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,261 Posts
Start fresh with new equipment. You'll be much happier for doing it.
-E.
I agree:thumbsup:

In regards to stings actually a very small percentage of people are allergic or suffer severe reactions, if you have been stung before with no adverse reaction I doubt you will see any difference between then and now....it still hurts in some places and in others...well you get used to it. Good luck:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
Then again some of us pick up bees one at a time, and cause them to sting, I personally like the back of my neck. But you can do it anywhere.
Not joking....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
Hi all.
I have several old hives that were given to me and need to know what would be the best way to clean them up to ward of disease and pests.
Do you know any history of this equipment or the beekeeper who had it? Many of us avoid old equipment of unknown origin since it may contain foulbrood spores. On the other hand, I've picked up used equipment and used it without problems. I wouldn't reuse frames/foundation. For the boxes, you could either scorch the insides with a propane torch, or do a bleach rinse. Do some searches and you can probably find more detailed instructions on cleaning up old equipment.

During your active engagement with your hives. How often do you get stung?
Occasionally. Sometimes I may do several inspections and not get stung once. Sometimes the girls are in a feisty mood and I'll get more than a dozen stings in just a few minutes.

Do I need to be concerned with an allergic reaction? I've been stung many times in the past with no problems.
Probably not, but it's always a good idea to keep some liquid benedryl handy. Many beeks also get an Epi-Pen "just in case".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for the reply. I have a small wood shop so I can make new boxes from the pattern of the old. I also saw a section on one of the apiary sites that had some plans to make a 10 frame hive. Just a little more time than I wanted to spend on making hives. I've heard the sting helps artritis. I'm at that age to take in a few stings to help me. Thanks again everyone for the thoughts.
JBees
 

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
Joined
·
54,120 Posts
When I only had four hives and I wasn't rearing queens etc. I would sometimes go a year and not get stung. When I was doing cutouts, i would get stung a lot. Now I rear queens and have about 200 hives in the peak of the season and i get stung most days.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,519 Posts
I'd say I normally get stung once a week. I've only got 9 hives, 6 nucs and raise my own queens. I may go a few weeks with nothing and then get hit 5 times the next week. It's part of the experience and keeps your inspections gentle. Stings used to really bother me. Now they still hurt, but I don't really swell much. Sometimes I forget to take out the stinger as I just keep working.

Ironically the amount of stings during inspections I get are down since I stopped suiting up and using gloves. Cutouts are a different story, get all of your protection on. You never know where they are crawling and their disposition can change quickly.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top