Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Around Woodstock/Canton: Most of the maples are finished, redbuds have started this week, American Holly will be bloom in a week. Henbit has a lot of yards and old croplands blue with blooms. Drones are flying and very heavy population in my double deeps. Looks like last years heavy rains through out last summer has all the tree species producing heavy density of blooms compared to past years. Pears trees and cherry trees are heavy with blooms for the past week and pollen is in the air. There are tulip popular trees in the subdivison that are showing a little bit of green in they tops and maybe blooming in about three weeks. Got three queen cells in a nuc that I made queenless last week. So far no swarm cells have been found in production hives and no new wax but some frames have white along the edges. With all this good news, this week will be a dud with cooler weather.

In Tennessee my carni hives are about three weeks behind my italian hives in Georgia. Maples are still blooming around Kingston along with the Bradford Pear (about 6 days behind Ga), henbit, and yellow forsythia bushes. The russian hive is not booming like the carnis but it's deep/shallow super needs to be flipped this week.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
great report ut, thanks.

similar here with valley ahead of ridgetop by about a week.

on the ridgetop red maple is starting to wane, bradford pears are just getting showey, fruit pears just starting, redbuds not quite open, henbit going strong, forsythia been open about a week now, and a few dandelions here and there.

average colony size is just over a deep of bees, but the range is just under two frames of bees to a deep and almost 2 mediums of bees.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ive got 9 hives, and a few of them have drones already in the hive and a few of them are flying. Tons of pollen coming in. Love seeing all the Henbit pollen coming in. No white wax yet either, but plenty of burr comb being built.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked and got new wax in supers in Woodstock GA., started from a strip of foundation last week. Of course they blow out drone cells in most of it. The girls are coming in with yellow faces today. Not a bad day considering the forecast this week. No swarm cells in the carni hive but that coming since there a lot of drone brood along the edges of the brood pattern but it's still open.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Here in Chattanooga the pear blossoms are starting to go, several trees I've seen lately are more green than they are white now. The cherries are starting to pick up though, and we've got dandelions blooming.

My girls have been bringing in loads of pollen for 2-3 weeks now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts