Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the redbuds are blooming and like normal the bees are not working them. Also during this time of the pre-tulip popular pseudo flow all that foundation just sits there in the new supers and really the supers with comb are just taking up space too. I've lost two queens during the past month, one fatbeeman queen make it through winter but gave out mid-March and the other one was moved with some brood to a weak hive so me-bad on that one. :eek: I think I'm luck on one combined hive that I did a week ago, the crazy hive still has both queens in the new hive so I'm going to fight the rain forecast on Friday and dig out one of them and place it on top of the hive with the now worker drone layer. Those are some very mad bees right now which bombed for a hour today. I'm going to take all the drone laying frames to the woods for a good shake out. Down in Georgia around Woodstock the tulip populars have small leaves on them and it looks like a lot of small bulbs are loaded on the branches. So two more weeks and the main flow will be started. North Georgia is about 5 days ahead of East Tn right now but with 80 degree days both will kick it in gear in both areas about the same time. The green wave is coming north so hang in there everybody!:applause:

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
Wow! So much to do in a short amount of time.
Hang in there. They will make it.
Does it works if you put the queen on top of the drone layer hive? I would do a shake out and then
relocate the hive somewhere else with the new queen in it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! So much to do in a short amount of time.
Hang in there. They will make it.
Does it works if you put the queen on top of the drone layer hive? I would do a shake out and then
relocate the hive somewhere else with the new queen in it.
I'll put a 2 inch spacer that I was using for sugar feeding and put down a queen excluder down too and hope for the best. Since I have the spare queen it won't cost anything to try. Plus the wet brood that will be below the new queen may give them a chance to start a queen cell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.