Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys have a few singles from this year that I wanna get filled up on a second hive body, our flow is close to over here, can I feed feed them to fill another body? Like to go into the winter with double deeps!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Sure can. If you start feeding them now, they will continue to brood up. If you are using double deeps or want to, the simplest way to get them to draw out the upper deep is actually to not only feed them but break the brood nest up by placing empty frames between frames that have already been drawn out very well. By the time the goldenrod starts blooming you should have the deeps both pulled out and ready for them to store honey in for the winter.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Feed them up, using a hivetop feeder and lots of syrup. They will store it faster than they can make brood with it, and will draw out that top box to do so. I will be putting mine back on tomorrow, the flow has slowed way down and they have not touched the last two frames in the first medium on top of a deep, and I want that one and another drawn and filled soon.

Peter

·
Registered
622 Posts
I built a hive top feeder last week and installed it a couple days ago. I had put my second deep brood box on 2 weeks ago. One frame had some drawn comb from last year and the others were a mix of foundation/foundationless. When I added the feeder 2 Thursday the frame with drawn comb was the only frame with any activity. I went back this morning to check my feeder and to my surprise it was already empty, plus two of the foundationless combs were close to 50% drawn, so the feeding did get them building. The bottom box was loaded with capped brood and larvae.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I put a second deep on a week ago and they only had one frame left in the bottom deep to go. In six days they pulled seven frames of deep foundation overall and are up to two quarts per day on the syrup. My other hive is a little slower, but is now pulling a quart and a half a day. It won't be long before they fill the top deep too.

These are 5 week old hives started from NUCS.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Never had luck with them drawing frames after the flow. Filling drawn frames yes. The key is to catch them while they are still drawing and keep the flow extended with feed and they will draw. If they stop at end of flow the drawing stops.Just my experience in SC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts