Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm from Perth (Hovea), Western Australia. Keen to meet other local beekeepers and learn from them and what they're up to in our local climate.

Been keeping bees for a few years but really taking it seriously in the past year. Learnt a lot from books and the internet, and now it's time to join some forums and ask more questions.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Hello.

I'm from Perth (Hovea), Western Australia. Keen to meet other local beekeepers and learn from them and what they're up to in our local climate.

Been keeping bees for a few years but really taking it seriously in the past year. Learnt a lot from books and the internet, and now it's time to join some forums and ask more questions.
Good evening, welcome.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Welcome! Lots of friendly, helpful people here.
Had a roommate from Perth, many years ago. Good guy. Talked kinda funny, but good guy.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, Honeyeater. Glad you've joined the forum.

Hopefully you are able to connect with some of the folks here on Beesource who reside in the Southern Hemisphere.

Your honeyeater avitar is quite a striking bird- what particular variety is it?

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to Beesource, Honeyeater. Glad you've joined the forum.
Your honeyeater avitar is quite a striking bird- what particular variety is it?
Apologies I missed your question and never replied. Very rude of me.

It's a Western Spinebill, a species of Honeyeater here in Western Australia. Fairly common if you know where to look :)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
...but you're lucky to have the Northern Cardinal
Indeed we are, Honeyeater. In fact it is our State Bird. Kentucky is unique in that it serves as the Southern terminus for many Northern flora and fauna and the Northern terminus for many Southern species, creating quite an extensive biodiversity.

I believe over 350 species of birds spend at least some time in Kentucky in their yearly travels and we currently have a lot of 'neotropical migrant' birds like the Indigo Bunting- https://ebird.org/species/indbun

While we don't have 'Honeyeaters' we certainly have 'Bee-eaters'. Another tropical traveler- the Scarlet Tanager being chief among them- https://ebird.org/species/scatan

How is the area around you recovering from the fires?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts