Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhhhhhhh yes. The first sign of spring showed up this morning. The onions have been delivered.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Hambone, you want to wacth eating to many fresh winter onions, unless you want to feel fresh and clean inside.My uncle use to say if you eat to many of them, you can squirt through a cedar tree and never touch a branch.:D Sounded like voice of experience to me, so i never tried it.:lpf: Jack

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In TX we plant onions now. Plus we have stomachs made from lead. We eat jalapenos plus Tabasco or Cholula sauce with every meal. Not to many folk that can handle that. Well……maybe the Cajuns can. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hambone...let's not forget the ubiquitous Habanero.....hottest of them all....1,000 times hotter than a jalapeno(which in its own right can make your morning constitution a barn burner). I remember my first encounter with a habanero. One little bite of an orange one(really ripe). I had blisters lineing the insides of my lower lip for several days.

About the most I can take is a diluted Habanero sauce...no more fresh off the plant ones for me.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
habaneros, ha!

I buy my tomato seed from these guys

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

they sell hot pepper seed for many varieties hotter than that
they show the Scoville numbers for the hottest which is a measure of the chemical in peppers that make them hot

Caribbean Hot 445,000 scoville units
Habanero 260,000 scoville units

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/hot.htm
it's alphabetical, scroll down the the Caribbean Hot

:eek:

Dave

[edit] ok, I looked, that's the only one that beats habanero, but that's one hot pepper. interesting to look at the numbers on different varieties.
I start sprouting stuff on Valentines Day and I wish my onion sets would get here in about 2 weeks

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ghost peppers.

Just sayin......

(I ain't trying them either) not even on a double dare.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I'm guessing Hambone doesn't need a smoker if all those onions get planted, grow, are harvested and eaten at his house and if he did he'd be able to light the smoker with the pepper breath from those Habeneros!

;)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol. That is a honey jar. A empty jar that got droped off for me to refill. :thumbsup:

It says Pure Honey. Not placed in the pic on purpose. You should see my desk.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do...But the boss ok's it. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
In TX we plant onions now. Plus we have stomachs made from lead. We eat jalapenos plus Tabasco or Cholula sauce with every meal. Not to many folk that can handle that. Well……maybe the Cajuns can. :)
Wuss.

Accompany me one time, if you will, to one of the Thai restaurants near Koreatown in L.A.

As the old joke goes: rectum? No, it dang near killed 'im!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
dragonfly

I'm with you I like peppers but I can do without em destroying my taste buds so I can't taste the darn food:rolleyes:
I bought some seed from the post I gave for a jalapeno that is half as hot as normal but with the same flavor. time will tell. I'll be growing some regular ones as well

Dave

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Seed catalogs arrived last week. All I can do is dream for now. Last year I grew a lot of gourds for fun along with Indian corn, blue corn and strawberry corn. They were pretty popular at the farmers market. We planted some jalapenos last year and traded honey and peppers for salsa from another vendor.

I had some 'Fooled You' peppers last summer - look like a giant jalapeno, but no heat. Fantastic stuffed on the grill! We don't like things too hot any more and I'm actually looking for a mild jalapeno to grow.

We did raised beds last year and had a lot of success managing them. You've got me dreaming of spring again - I want the warm weather, but wer'e sure not ready. Have 200 deeps, 2000 frames, along with 50 stands, inner covers, etc. to assemble. Better get hopping because spring will be here before you know it and I need to be ready.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You can thank the good researchers at Texas A&M University for developing the "no heat" Jalapeno as well as the 1015Y sweet onion. Gig 'em Ags:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I disagree, I love the flavor of a good "scotch bonnett" which I'm guessing is what your book calls carribean. Planting season is a very long way off for us, of course I have to start my bonnetts inside under a grow lite pretty early, we don't get the 120 days needed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I plan on growing the hot pepper varities i can buy at lowes ( never good at seed starting), I will make salsa out out of them and name is " Oh , my mouth is on fire' salsa. Should be ineresting.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
brac

I'm not disagreeing, it just a personal taste thing. I like a little hot but really hot and I can't taste anything anymore. I don't know how some folks do it:rolleyes:
I've always heard Scotch Bonett was the hottest of the hot

Dave

[edit]hmm, just looking at that site and they sell Scotch Bonnet too. go read about it. seems they are from China and the others from the Caribbean
you may have found a new challenge:)

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As the old joke goes: rectum? No, it dang near killed 'im!
Funny!!

I think its the msg's in that Korean food that rects ya. It's good though. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts