Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
We all have to make choices. Your best bet is to make an informed choice. Questions to ask include: what is the insect? does the insect do damage to any plants in the garden? is there a certain level of damage you can deal with? Making the assumption that you conclude it is not an insect you want reproducing in your garden: at what point in the insect's life cycle is it easiest to "deal" with? And then ask about any preparations you might use to "deal" with the insect: what according to the label is the proper way to use the preparation? what safety guidelines (PPE) do you need to follow for yourself? What are the impacts on non-targets? Does the preparation require multiple applications? Do you need to stay out of the garden for a certain length of time after using the preparation (re-entry)? How long does the preparation persist in either the soil or the plant and do you need to do any monitoring? Does the preparation impact water and are there any special concerns there? How will you clean your equipment post application? How will you dispose of surplus preparation and the container that it came in? {this is not meant to be a complete list}

I wish the process could be as simple as get yourself a spray bottle of bugbegonefrommygarden and apply it where you see eggs. It isn't though, and so we get to make choices. For me I try to do as much cultural prevention as I can - so crop rotations, collars around my tomato plants, keeping things sanitary - are all the first round of defense. I try my best not to make it to round two.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I use Orange Oil. 1oz per gallon of water. Spray at dusk so it won't burn your plants. I mostly mix Garrett Juice and Liquid Fish, so I fertilize and kill the insects at the same time. You can also look up garlic pepper tea recipes. Those work well too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That "Red Man stuff" won't it cause cancer in the plants/ fruit etc :}: scratch:
Can't imagine that the nicotine content is increased significantly above what you would get naturally anyway. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199308053290619?keytype2=tf_ipsecsha&ijkey=09174147c440b96900667f3fef93fd3cd0100cee& We're talking about a cup of tea made from tobacco, diluted in a hose end sprayer, and spread over a large area. Then, after some time has passed, you harvest, prepare - likely diluting further, and eat. I'm not paranoid enough to be concerned. If you are, you should probably stop eating a lot of vegetables - cauliflower, tomatoes, potatoes, etc.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
tea made from Red Man chewing tobacco in a hose end sprayer.
The OP is from AL I'm fairly certain this type of tomfoolery is illegal there. If it isn't it should be.

Put the Redman back in your wife's truck.

Spray them with something not residual after dark spray it off thoroughly with water before first light. I'm assuming this is a small patch that can be sprayed with low volume pump up sprayer and irrigated with a hose.

·
Registered
213 Posts
+1 for Dawn Dish soap. If its good enough for the ducks, its good enough for the insects... makes them squeaky clean!:lookout:

Start with light concentration. Increase as needed. A heavy squirt in a 1 liter spray bottle, will take out wasps nests and most soft body insects nearly as well and fast as RAID. Non toxic to you or pets, or children. Wash - Rinse - Repeat until pests are clean and shiny. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts