Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting two packages on SC. I have full size foundation and medium frames. I'm planning on cutting the foundation to fit the frames.

If I cut the foundation in half, will the bees continue the small cells in the gap at the bottom or might they make lots of drone cells? Should I cut it to fit the size of the frame and use the rest as starter strips later?

No bees yet...I'm still waiting patiently...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm just starting out too. I used full sheets of small cell to save the girls some work and get them going as soon as possible. The plan is to use strips from here on in, rotating them into the middle.

Gap at the bottom? Here's a picture from Michael Bush's site. Looks like they leave some space for traffic at the bottom corners. Good idea!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I am starting two packages on SC. I have full size foundation and medium frames. I'm planning on cutting the foundation to fit the frames.

That's one method.

>If I cut the foundation in half, will the bees continue the small cells in the gap at the bottom or might they make lots of drone cells?

They will (and should) build drone cells somewhere. They will build somewhere between 10% and 20% drone cells if you let them (and you should let them). Sometimes the gap at the bottom will be drones and sometimes it will be small cell. Both are good.

> Should I cut it to fit the size of the frame and use the rest as starter strips later?

When I use foundation (which I usually don't) I cut the small cell deep in half:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Foundation49.jpg

Or do starter strips:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/PrimaryCombOnBlankStarterStrip.JPG

The above link from Tom is drawn foundationless. It's not all drone.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help.

Michael, the first picture with half the deep foundation cut in half is wired. I plan to crush and strain eventually and cut comb, so that means I wouldn't wire my fountation, correct? Do I need pins?

Thanks.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If you plan to crush and strain, I'd save my money on the small cell foundation and put 7/11 in the supers. That way you have the right size foundation, it's cheaper, it's whiter, and you can cut it out for comb honey. It's also a size the queen won't like to lay in since it's too big for worker and too small for drone.

Better yet, use starter strips of any thin surplus foundation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts