Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may have read, I have been dealing with a bear that got into my apiary (electric fence was down) and then my shed where I put the boxes and savable frames temporarily. My daughter lent me her game cam which I have pointed at the shed. So far, only pics of me wandering around forgetting that I have a game cam and Chuck, a woodchuck who lives under the shed. So I am thinking I wish I had another one on the apiary which got me to thinking about other options.
Who uses game or other cams on their apiary? Does a (motion sensor) game cam detect bees coming and going during the day? Are there wireless outdoor options? Cost?
I know I Am A Waterbug has cams on his apiary and I love checking them out so am leaning towards something I do not have to take the card out to view on my computer. Is this possible to do wireless? Can you do more than one on a system? Thinking of adding to house for security. Thanks Geek Beeks. J

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have several infrared cameras, only one on my hives. Mine arent cell provider type since I never felt the need to spend the coin those cost. I have several friends that have those and get text when a new photo is taken.

I think for the home, you'd be better off with a system designed for that tho, my nephew bought a 4 or 6 camera set from Costco (wifi enabled) that sends video and photos to his phone and iirc, for less than $350.

Below is a good website for good reviews on TC's

https://www.trailcampro.com/

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have cams on our hives right now 4 are watching the hives. The rest watch the fields, yards for critter watching just a few watch for people. Mine are wired, a few are wifi. Wifi works it needs to see the router so you are line of sight restricted.

We have them display on our TV which is just for the cams.

Love being able to glance at the hives and see the bees coming and going.

I like being able to dial in via my phone from anywhere and check the hives and everything else.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should add that cell reception is poor and my wi fi is on the other side of the house which apparently limits my options. J

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Look into wifi extender. Or you can run burried cat6 cable out to the area if there is power out there you can put some wired cams connected back to your network. Lots more work but would be much better then putting batteries in game cams. I bought one as i had a critter i could not id that ate a nuc. game cam picked up everything but critters. wind and trees moving sucked up 99 percent of the memory

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been doing some research and I think I can get 4 outdoor cams on wifi that will cover most areas I want (house and apiary) IF the wi fi will reach that far. I will have to consider an extender or bury cable like kaizen suggests. Problem is, you don't know if it works until you buy everything. I bought a wifi extender so I could get good reception in my garage and spent hours and hours online with tech support and never did get it to work. But I am amazed at the options and how much the cost has gone down since the last time I was looking into security cams for the house about 5 yrs ago. About 1/3 of the price now. In the meantime, I am enjoying the game cam. Chuck has scored himself a girlfriend who moved in under the shed with him. Not sure I like that but I have bigger fish to fry. Thanks everyone. J

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve got the Nest IQ cameras all around the house and one in apiary. I can watch from anywhere on my phone. You can set up alerts zones for movement or sound.
I tied to post a quick video clip but it won’t not upload. We were have bear problems last spring. Down in Disney got an alert and watched a bear walking around the garage which is where the hives were he had destroyed the week before.

Guess I could add link for video. first one is 16 seconds 2nd is 4 minutes

https://youtu.be/e5Uw-LZFC68
https://youtu.be/k2B9bxppbEA

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Broncorm. Cool, yet not cool vids. Its what I imagine my bear was doing. I see how it checked out the windows and thought about it. My game warden suggested boards with nails in front of doors and windows and said they have no problem getting through a window. J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts