Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a large galvanized honey extractor from my father-in-law. The thing is a beast but in great shape - a small amount of rust/deterioration on the basket but I’ve cleaned that all up with steel wool. I am sealing the barrel and basket with CamCoat. I have a spray gun and am wondering if I’d be better off spraying several light coats of the sealer on or using a brush? Or will it matter? Anyone else sealed an older extractor before?
Thanks!
Dona in northeast MD

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would verify via the manufacturer the type of CamCoat you are using for suitability; both adhesion and purpose. Galvanized metal or zinc is a very active, sacrificial metal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. CamCoat sold by bee supply companies specifically for coating galvanized equipment. Food grade coating. I’m just wondering about best application of this product.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Brushed one, worked fine. Ended up two coats because I could not reach all spots with it wet. I would say spray with a brush touch up any spots you can't get. If you can hang the basket I think it would be easier to do spray.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Strange thing is I cannot find via the web a company / manufacturer associated with the "CamCoat" product offered by a couple of distributors - no matter how hard I try. Anyone know hte connection?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts